This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Name: Hannah Elizabeth Hough

Hometown: El Segundo, California

Year: Senior

Major: International Studies (Minor: French)

My Mantra: “Personal style is about taking a risk, trying something unexpected, and having fun with fashion, but always being true to yourself.” – Ralph Lauren

How would you describe your style?

Eclectic. I have a lot of very different pieces (everything from a woman’s Lacoste polo to a Brandy Melville knit sweater). I love having options to appease every circumstance or mood I may be in that day.

Who or what inspires your style?

A lot of what I wear is inspired by my surroundings or things I am interested in at the time, since I get bored easily. I am constantly bouncing from one idea or project to the next, but that is what I love about style- it evolves as you evolve. It is not something that is stagnant; you can consistently revamp it, tweak it or keep it classic. 

At the beginning of every season I usually visit sites or stores of my favorite designers and see what they have on the racks. It is from there that I think about how I can apply these current trends to my own life, using pieces I currently have in my closet (by using what you already have, it keeps you from spending copious amounts of money on trendy pieces that could go out of style tomorrow for all you know, as well as keeping true to our already established style and making the current trend unique to you).

Inspirations- Coco Chanel (classic), Iris Apfel (fearless), Twiggy (mod), Jane Birkin (easy Parisian Chic- Hermès Birkin Bag), Diane Von Furstenberg (epitome of strength and confidence), Rachel Zoe (glamour) and I’m sorry but being a 90’s child I will always love the Olson Twins (risk takers)- many many more.

Who was your first style icon?

My grandmother. She was the epitome of sophisticated elegance. She never left the house without red lips and her hair curled to perfection. Her coat collection resembled that of the one at Bergdorf’s and her jewelry case was filled to the rim with statement pieces.

What is your go to outfit?

On any given day it is usually sweatpants, to be blatantly honest. But when I do decide to brace the world, I usually through on a good pair of denim, a slouchy t-shirt, oversized sweater and either boots or flats depending on the weather and my mood.

Do you have a closet essential you can’t live without?

I would say I have three closet essentials. The first- being born and raised in Southern California, I have a deep appreciation for flip-flops (couldn’t imagine my closet with out my Rainbows). Secondly- an amazing pair of denim, I personally love 7 for All Mankind, Paige, Joes and J Brand. Lastly- sunglasses!  

Where do you find yourself shopping the most?

Vintage and second hand clothing stores. I do this because 1) I am a college student on a budget and 2) you can find extremely unique and one of a kind pieces or things that aren’t made anymore/ hard to find.

Some stores I love are Buffalo exchange (Eugene), Wasteland (LA), Bustown Modern (LA) and St. Vincent de Paul (Eugene).

Others include- Steve Madden, Will Leather Goods, Top Shop, H&M, Zara, A.P.C., Levis and Anthropology.

Do you have any must-have brands?

There are sooo many! So here are a few off the top of my head- Top Shop, Will Leather Goods, All Saints, Nike, J Brand, Free People (as well as all the ones listed above).

Are there any current trends that you wish would go away?

Women showing excessive amounts of skin. I feel like hemlines have almost wasted away on most items of clothing (i.e. shorts, dresses, the damn crop top…) Don’t get me wrong, I am a very big believer of “If you’ve got it, flaunt it” and yes I do own a crop top or two, however I believe that being sexy isn’t about how much skin one can show all at once, but it’s how you show it.

Do you blog at all or have some fashion blogs that you follow?

For a while I actually did have my own blog but due to time restraints was unable to keep up with it. Some bloggers that I do follow include Chiara Ferragni (The Blonde Salad), Aimee Song (Song of Style), Julie Sariñana (Sincerely Jules).        

What do you enjoy doing with your free time?

If I’m not at the gym (or doing something physically active), I love to read anything and everything I can get my hands on (knowledge is power, right?).  In addition, like every other college student, I do binge watch shows on Netflix (Friends, House of Cards, Parks and Rec, and my most recent endeavor It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia). I also love to travel and drink way too much coffee for my own good.

Anything else you would like to share?

Fun fact- I LOVE Target, I have over 20 pairs of jeans, my closet is color coordinated, I can not for the life of me walk in heels (most of the ones in my closet have been worn once or still have tags on them). My favorite color is black and I love to shop in the men’s section of stores (something I learned to do from my sister).

My dream job would either be to become a personal stylist or the style editor for Vogue.

Everyone, who ever you may be, is unique and beautiful in their own way. I am a strong believer in “if it makes you happy, wear it and rock it with it confidence.” Dress for yourself, not others. And don’t let anyone bring you down. Take risks, if it didn’t work, well, now you know for next time. Life is short. It is important to stay true to you, love yourself first and everything else will fall into place when the time is right. 

The official Her Campus Oregon account