This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Meet Cluuuuuuuurrrrrrrr (Claire) Phillips!

Hometown: Burlingame, CA

Major: Computer Science

Year: Sophomore

What is your most embarrassing moment?

Oh man, which one? Let’s see…when I was in second grade, I ripped my pants trying to climb a fence to get a ball. I tried convincing everyone that I didn’t rip my pants, but soon enough the tiny whole ripped all the way down my pants, revealing my dog underwear.

What is your special talent?

Haha, I’d like to think that my special talent is making people laugh because I do stand-up comedy.

What made you want to start stand-up comedy?

I have always wanted to make people laugh, but I never knew if I was good or not. I started making a lot of people laugh, and I realized that if I can make this many people laugh, who else could I make laugh? So, I spread my wings and started stand-up, which solidified that I could, in fact, make a lot of people laugh. It was very rewarding.

What does stand-up comedy mean to you?

Stand-up simply means making people laugh. I try to make people forget what kind of day they had and put a smile on their face. A smile is something so tiny, yet so powerful.

How do you find inspiration for stand-up every week?

I usually find inspiration either through events that have happened to me throughout the week or my childhood stories. But I’m starting to come up with jokes on-the-spot, attempting to transition more into improvisation comedy.

What qualities do other comedians have that you admire?

I really admire people like Ellen DeGeneres, who can get people hooked on the story. I respect comedians who can get so immersed in their skit.

How do you know your stand-up will be “funny” or “successful?”

Ummm, I don’t know haha! I normally test it out on one or two people, or I read it as an audience member. I just recently had a really bad skit. Before I performed, I thought, “I don’t think people are going to think this is funny, but I should try it anyway.” I discovered that you have to know what type of audience you’re talking to and consider what they would laugh at. You’re not always going to be right. When people don’t laugh at my jokes, I just keep going. If I have a bad set, I see it as a place to grow.

Is stand-up the same as presenting in front of the class?

Stand-up prepares you to speak in front of crowds, for sure. I’ve learned to slow down and think about what I’m actually saying. Presenting in front of a class, I can sometimes be very witty. I like incorporating jokes into my presentations if it’s appropriate because I like to make people laugh.

Ok, I have a dare for you: say something funny!

Oh, a dare! I love dares! Hmmm…

What’s a pirate’s favorite letter of the alphabet?

You would think it’s the R, but it’s the C he longs for.

Or I have a poem for you:

Roses are red,

Violets are blue,

Some poems rhyme,

And some don’t.

If you want to hear more witty jokes from Miss Claire Phillips, you can find her performing stand-up comedy at Falling Sky in the EMU on Wednesdays at 9pm!

Ashley Ferris is an Entertainment Writer for Her Campus Media. Previously Her Campus Oregon chapter's Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief, she's a recent public relations graduate from the University of Oregon. In her free time, Ashley enjoys jamming out to country music, following the latest news on social media and drinking Starbucks coffee on the regular. She loves talking about "Friends" TV show, chocolate candies and anything related to Disney. You can follow her on Twitter @ashleybird17.
The official Her Campus Oregon account