This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Meet Sydney Meyer, an Idaho-native and an aspiring photographer making magic behind the lens of a camera. Follow her on Instagram at @sydibug or check out her blog at www.sydelisephotography.com!

Major: Advertising with a minor in Business and Photography

Hometown: Coeur d’ Alene, Idaho

Dream job: To work in the creative and advertising department for Make a Wish.

Favorite part about UO: All of the spirit people have for our school! I love my Ducks!

HCO: What first sparked your interest in photography? How did you begin pursuing it as a passion?

SM: I’ve always had a love for photography. When I was a sophomore in high school I was visiting family and friends in Coeur d’ Alene, Idaho and on Christmas morning I went for a walk on Lake Coeur d’ Alene. The scenery was so surreal, so my friend let me use his camera to try it out. The fog was rolling over the lake and it created lighting that made it look like we were living in a black and white film. At that moment, I instantly fell in love. It was such a memorable experience and sparked the pursuit of photography as a passion for me. I’ve had opportunities to do many senior photo sessions and capture cross country photos to create posters for my high school. There have also been different college opportunities such as being the photographer for Envision Magazine and Communiversity Day of Service. One of my photos was even posted on Alex and Ani’s blog! 

HCO: What’s your favorite photograph of all the ones that make up your collection? 

SM: This is one of my favorite photographs. It was when I fell in love with photography on Lake Coeur d’ Alene. The lighting was so interesting! I love this photo because it looks like someone created it to be black and white but that was simply the natural lighting. Every time I go back to this Lake, I become more inspired.

HCO:What kind of camera do you use? 

SM: I use a Cannon t3i for digital, but when I shoot film I use an Olympus OM 10.

HCO: What’s your favorite type of setting to shoot?

SM: My favorite type of setting to shoot is anything scenic. Also, natural human interactions.

HCO: Where do you go for photography inspiration?

SM: I get a lot of my photography inspiration by traveling; I love going to different cities, states, and countries to explore different cultures and scenery.

HCO: What does photography mean to you?

SM: I love simply living in the moment. For me, photography is a meaningful way to always be able to relive such special and beautiful moments. Photography is so much more than just taking a photo, it’s creating a story.

HCO: What goals do you have for yourself in regards to your photography pursuits?

SM: My goals for pursuing photography is to incorporate it in my career path, whatever that may  lead to. And to also always carry it as my passion. I’d love to shoot portraits, weddings and whatever other opportunities come to me on the side.

Photographs by: Libby Bartley 

cincinnati raised -- go redlegs. spending this chapter of my life exploring the pacific northwest. inspired by laughter, adventure, unfamiliar things & spontaneity.university of oregon, class of 2016. journalism major always searching for new experiences. finding the unseen magic of the world through a camera lens.to see more of my work, visit my personal blog: https://libbybartley.wordpress.com/
The official Her Campus Oregon account