Campus Crime: Safety Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Creeps and crooks come out on the prowl late at night and it’s important to know how to protect yourself during an encounter with one of them. Reports and warnings of unfortunate events of kidnappings and assualts around campus are consistently emailed out to students in campus crime alerts. There are many ways the University of Oregon tries to create awareness for those late night walks home alone.

Self-defense classes are provided for credit at the UO. It’s a term long informational and interactive class that goes through different scenarios of how to protect yourself in those situations. Partner workouts and activities are worked on throughout the class to prepare you for different situations. All these and more are practiced in detail. Sign up for spring term self-defense classes on Duckweb

Walking home alone at night is never safe, and with this winter weather it makes the trek home even worse. Safe Ride is available Sunday-Thursday 6pm-12am and Friday-Saturday 6pm-2am. It’s a simple phone call and a safe way to get home. You can also become a volunteer.

If ever put in a threatening situation on campus there are approximately 30 emergency phones with bright blue tops located all around campus. These phones also have a call button that can be pressed to alert the on-call staff. There is a staff member, everyday 24 hours working at the dispatch center. Walk around campus and become familiar with where the call boxes are located.

Just to be safe, always walk with a buddy and be conscious of your surroundings.  Carry pepper spray and know the emergency phone numbers provided below.

Non-Emergency
(541) 346-2919

Safe Ride

(541) 346- 7433 ext. 2

The official Her Campus Oregon account