Campus Celeb: Stephanie Palomino

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Name: Stephanie Palomino

Year: Junior

Major: English

Hometown: Walnut Creek, CA

What does the coordinator for club soccer do?

Well club soccer has two teams, so each team has their own specific coordinator but the teams share one bank account, so because I am the “president” I am the only one who can buy things or spend any money. Any time we have a trip I am the one who plans the entire trip, for both teams. We recently took a charter bus down to Cal Poly for regionals. I was the one who paid the tournament fee, collected everyone’s roster information and got things singed by the registrar. I also had to do most of the travel arrangements for the tournament. So in short I do our budget, make the itinerary for trips, pay our coaches and referees, and schedule all home and away games. We just took a trip to the bay area and got to stay at my parent’s house, so that was really fun! 

What is the best thing about being coordinator for club soccer?

It definitely makes me appreciate all of the work that people do to help each club sport. I now understand the hard work the people in the club sports office are doing every day. I also get to be a lot closer to our coaching staff. I have to interact with them more as equals, which is cool. It is also interesting having to be the “mom” of the team, sometimes. I am getting to know my teammates in a different way.

What is your favorite thing about being on a club team?

Club sports are not glamorous at all. We pay for everything by member dues, donations, and fundraising. We don’t have huge crowds at our games; any one who is on a club sport is doing it purely because they love the sport. I think that is why I love it so much, because it is the passion that keeps everyone going. Everything is on your own, you don’t have coaching staff handing you everything. If your team wants to be good, it is up to them to set up practices and get coaches. You all have to take initiative.

Do you work for any other departments on campus?

Yes. I am the Student Program Assistant at club sports. And that’s separate from being club president of the soccer team. During the summer I help them with freshman orientation, and act like a recruit for club sports. And during the school year I help them organize travel for all of the teams. It can get really hectic because on any given weekend we can have 8 teams traveling, and teams can consist of anywhere from 4 to 45 members.

What have you enjoyed most about working in the club sports office?

I really enjoy getting to know the other club presidents. They are always in the club sports office and because I handle their paperwork, I get to interact with them more. Also, it is interesting seeing how other clubs run themselves in comparison to soccer, because not every club has a coach, or competes at the same level.

Any plans for after graduation?

After graduation, I definitely want to take at least 1 or 2 years off of school. I want to maybe live somewhere other than California or Oregon, I have been thinking a lot about Chicago or Ann Arbor. And then once I get my feet settled, I will start studying for the LSAT and prep for law school.

The official Her Campus Oregon account