Campus Celeb: Leigha Krick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

This week’s campus celeb is a born and raised Oregonian with a passion for adventure and living well. She also happens to be a fantastic role model. Leigha Krick, everyone!

HCO: What is your major and why did you choose it?

I’ll be graduating with a bachelors in Human Physiology this June. I began my journey at the UO as an education major but I had trouble relating to the people in the major. I genuinely couldn’t find the people like me on campus. In between researching transfer options, one of my dear friends suggested I take a practicum to learn to be a group fitness instructor. I fell in love with it and the REC, and switched to human physiology (and finally found my people).

HCO: What groups have you belonged to or belong to on campus?

My favorite role on campus is being a group fitness instructor and personal trainer at the REC. I’ve worked there over three years and absolutely can’t imagine college without it. I also have been a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma, done a couple internships with the health center, been a peer facilitator for the Body Project, gone to LeaderShape twice, Dance Marathon Exec, and I went on an alternative break to Nicaragua (seriously, go to the Holden Center and learn about all the awesome opportunities.)

HCO: What are you doing after you complete your undergrad at the UO?

I’ll be going to Washington State University to serve as their Graduate Assistant of Group Fitness & Instruction and studying for a Master in Sport Management with a focus in Recreational Administration. Basically, I’ll be supervising and coordinating the group fitness staff and creating programs!

HCO: Who are your role models? Why?

I look to many people for inspiration. But my dad is also a pretty rad dude and has definitely shaped the way I treat and lead others. But I love Jimmy Fallon & Ellen Degeneres and am confident that we are meant to be BFFslargely because dancing is also one of my core values.

HCO:  What advice, if any, would you give to your freshman self?

I would tell myself to sit in the front row of life. Somewhere between high school graduation and college I stopped sitting in the front row for a while and it really limited my potential and experiences for a bit.

HCO:  You are a huge advocate for positive body image in women; what was it, or what events made you feel so passionate about this topic?

Body image is a huge issue for women AND men. I know so many incredible people who have struggled and continue to struggle to value themself for more than an numerical value. My concern with it started back in 7th grade when one of my best friends stopped talking to me when I tried the best any middle schooler can to get her help with her eating disorder. I have family members who have struggled with eating disorders so my mother educated me at a young age that dieting doesn’t work; only healthy behavioral changes can positively impact your health including maintaining a healthy weight.

HCO: What is one message that you would want to pass on to other women?

Be confident. Be confident in yourself, your abilities, your strength, your wisdom. Be confident and believe you deserve to sit at the table, raise your hand and your voice. Be confident that you can be, think and lead. And respect yourself enough to demand the same respect from those you spend your time with.

HCO: . Do you have a personal mantra?

It may be more than a mantra, but those close to me are familiar with my “ice cream theory,” developed as a pep talk for my dumped, side-stepped or otherwise awesome but single friends. Here’s my theory: you’ve got to know and truly believe that you are awesome, fantastic, and unique all on your own, like ice cream. Every flavor is unique (unless your vanilla in which case, you should probably work on being more fun), and all flavors are totally delicious and amazing all on their own, BUT there are some flavors that go well together (mint chocolate and rocky road anyone?). Likewise, some flavors clash and take away from the awesomeness of the individual flavors, thus better not mix. This is how I think we should see all intimate relationships. While some relationships add to our being, others cripple us in one way or another. You have to know YOU are wonderful and enough all on your own before you try to mix, otherwise, you might lose your own flavor along the way.

HCO: What qualities make a man stand out to you and why?

A great back! Just kidding, while I do appreciate some well-developed musculature, I love goofy, fun-loving guys who dance like a fool, sober. A big personality and a big smile is where it’s at.

HCO: You’ve been dating someone for quite a while; what techniques do you and your boyfriend practice to maintain your relationship? (i.e. spontaneous dates, honesty, etc.)

I think one thing that is unique about my relationship is that he was one of my best friends first and then it just happened, so we already had this dorky, hilarious friendship and then added a little extra fun. We also are jokesters, play sports (aka boosting his ego), and we go on mini-adventures!

I am a senior at the University of Oregon! I love to run, play soccer and hangout with my roommates. Typical college chick stuff! I am excited for my future in either journalism or advertising, I'm majoring in both!
The official Her Campus Oregon account