Campus Celeb: Clay Attig

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Clay Attig – Freshman, Pre-Journalism Major, On The Rocks Singer

HCO: How and why did you get involved with On The Rocks?

Clay: It’s kind of funny how I got involved with On The Rocks. I actually didn’t sing seriously in high school at all. I was a member of the marching band and the volleyball team, and I just kind of sang around the house. Before I left for college, though, my mom made me promise that I would continue something musical while I was at school. I tried out for On The Rocks, just on a whim because I thought it would be fun, and, lo’ and behold, I made it! My cousin Kate was also the first person who kind of exposed me to the group when I first came to the university, and she encouraged me to audition as well.

HCO: So far, what has been your favorite part about being a member of OTR?

Clay: Besides the singing, I love the bond I have with all of the guys in the group. We spend so much time together, that we get to know each other really well and make fun of each other. Rehearsals, gigs, and shows are also exciting and fun to be a part of.

HCO: What is your favorite song to sing with the group?

Clay: My favorite song to sing is probably “Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy” by Big and Rich, just because it has so much energy.

HCO: Have you had any fangirl/guy experiences yet since you’ve been in the group?

Clay: We’ve actually had a couple of fangirl experiences since i’ve been in the group. When we sang at a women’s convention, after we performed, one of the girls wanted to come up and take a picture with us, and after we got home from the event, she added each of us individually and liked all of our instagram, twitter, and facebook posts (@uoontherocks). Also, people will recognize us at big gigs and come up and try and talk to us. Oh! And I occasionally get friend requests from people in other countries with lots of cats and facial hair.

HCO: As a singer and performer, what kind of audience excites you?

Clay: An active audience where we can feed off of each other really excites me. When they are engaged and reacting to our performance, it gets us more excited about what we’re doing. The response we get from a good audience is like no other feeling in the world.

HCO: How much time does it take up during your weekly schedule?

Clay: On the Rocks is actually a very large time commitment. We have three 2.5 hour practices a week, a show every friday at 4:00 p.m, and at least one paid gig a week– locations, times, and frequencies may vary. And we perform EVERY FRIDAY AT 4:00 P.M IN THE EMU AMPITHEATRE, or the fishbowl if it’s raining.

HCO: How do you think being a part of OTR has contributed to your “Campus Celebrity” status?

Clay: Being in OTR has definitely increased my “campus celebrity” status. People will recognize me around campus or at parties and ask, “Are you in On The Rocks?” It’s really cool being recognized for the music that we make, and I’m glad that people know who we are.

HCO: What are some other really big accomplishments you’ve had in your life so far?

Clay: I once ate a whole box of Cheez-Its by myself.

HCO: What is one misunderstanding people have about you?

Clay: When people find out that I am in a fraternity, some people have a preconceived notion of what they think a “frat boy” is, but I don’t think that I fit that stereotype. Sure, I own Sperrys and Polos, and I am incredibly loyal to Lambda Chi Alpha, but I am also dedicated to my schoolwork, my family, my faith, and other commitments I have. I don’t spend all day drinking and calling everyone “bro.” I like to live like a normal person sometimes and relax.

HCO: While you’re at the University of Oregon, what other extra-curricular activities or clubs do you hope to get involved with and why?

Clay: I would hope to get involved with more intramural activities on campus just to stay active and have fun with friends competing for the coveted IM Champion shirts. It’s a great way to stay in shape and de-stress from school and life in general.

HCO: What does a typical weekend consist of for you?

Clay: A typical weekend usually starts on Friday right after classes with a Friday show, and usually, we have a gig Friday and/or Saturday… So my weekend is usually taken up by OTR, but on my off days on the weekends, I like to spend it like a normal college student: sleeping during the day and going out with friends at night.

HCO: How do you think your mom would describe you?

Clay: My mom would describe me as a nice, talented, boy who has a good sense of what is right and wrong, and who would always lend a helping hand (stolen from something she actually said).

HCO: How do you think your friends would describe you?

Clay: My friends would describe me as a nice guy who likes to have fun, and can be a little spontaneous at times, but still thinks before he acts.

HCO: What motivates you?

Clay: I would say my desire to be excellent motivates me. I’m not just satisfied if something is “good” in my life. I’m somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to working on the things I am passionate about, so I’d say that motivates me more than anything.

HCO: Anything else you’d like to add about upcoming things you’ll be involved in where your fans can come watch?

Clay: Keep a lookout for our Spring showcase and “In The Dark” show Spring Term. Also, we perform every Friday at 4 in the EMU Amphitheater, and most importantly, look forward to a NEW ALBUM, dropping March 9th called “Alder Alley!”

The official Her Campus Oregon account