Bellbottoms, Riding Boots and Fur Vests…Oh My! (Fall Fashion Trends)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

For the collegiettes out there that enjoy keeping up with fashion trends, we all have probably seen what it can do to our wallets. Since I came to college, my mom has been trying to instill the idea of wants versus needs when it comes to my spending habits. Keeping up with trends doesn’t have to be a want that you throw out because it is too expensive. There is definitely a way to look stylish without breaking the bank.

Celebrity stylist Rachel Zoe’s philosophy about fashion is the best way to be smart about money while we have to be. She believes that a wardrobe should be rooted in the basics: jeans, solid tops and sweaters, and accessories to get the trend appeal you are looking for. You do not need to spend a lot of money on jewelry, scarves or even shoes if you don’t want to. Charlotte Russe in Valley River Center offers a happy hour for discounts on everything in the store and a 10 percent discount just for showing your student ID card. Forever21 obviously has low prices and is great for inexpensive accessories or something trend specific. If you’re like me and shoes are your thing, then DSW has great deals on brands we know and love as well as insane sales on their already reduced price. And seriously, online shopping can be your best friend. Online retailers are constantly offering special online sales and free shipping, not to mention websites like ShoeDazzle, Gilt Group and Rue LaLa that offer discounted clothes and shoes.

For fall’s trends specifically, you can go several ways. If country classic is your thing then equestrian riding boots, riding-inspired pants, rustic combat boots and floral-prints are what you should be looking for.

[pagebreak]

If you like minimalistic looks with clean lines then the pure trend is for you with sleek jewelry.

[pagebreak]

70’s-inspired trends call for jewel-toned accessories; a fur vest is a necessity, bell-bottom jeans (yes they are back) and chunky heels. Just remember to keep it more on the simple side. Dripping in trend doesn’t necessarily make you trendy, which is why you have your basics and the accessories to dress up the outfit.  

You don’t need to spend all you have to look great. Take advantage of the great deals we can get with the growing online and discount retailers out there. But mainly, don’t think you have to dress head to toe in trends. That’s the fun with fashion, you get to play with different looks to figure out what is you.  

Serena Piper will always be a Southern belle at heart, but for now she is a Senior Magazine Journalism student at the University of Oregon. She is an avid news reader and watcher, loves to bake yummy desserts and watch Sex and the City reruns, has big travel plans for after graduation and would eventually like to work for National Geographic. She wouldn't mind one bit if her life echoed Elizabeth Gilbert's in Eat, Pray, Love. To find out what Serena is up to, check out her blog and follow her on Twitter