The Bachelorette 2013: First Impressions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

It’s that time of year again, ladies. Enough drama to make high school seem like a walk in the park, enough man tears to temporarily kill your sex drive, and – if you’re doing it right – enough bottles of wine on the table and friends in the room to ensure that your next 10 Mondays are really, really entertaining.

For those of you who haven’t watched the season premiere, stop reading now (unless you like spoilers). For the rest of you, here are our favorites and least favorites.

Top Contenders:

1.Robert: He’s established himself as an entrepreneur. He has dimples. He’s refined and gentlemanly, and he is really good at spinning signs. Plus, did you see that smile?

2.Bryden: Sweet and soft spoken, this Ben Affleck look-alike from Montana stole a rose from Desiree in the first round. Perhaps a diamond in the rough, this Iraq war veteran just might steal the hearts of viewers across America!

3.Ben: Ben, Ben, Ben… Honestly, I’m on the fence over whether using his son to get the first impression rose indicates good intention or shady morals, but clearly the rest of America thinks the man with the baby is going to take it all.

4.Mikey: A personal favorite of mine – this one was genuine from the moment he introduced himself and told Desiree how he felt about family and identified with her brother. Who doesn’t want a good looking, sensitive, family-oriented guy?

5.Brooks: Yeah, okay. His smile was a little creepy and he was obviously pretty nervous, but let’s give this guy the benefit of the doubt. Besides, the season sneak peek suggested that he might be around for the long haul, so there must be something special about him!

6.Drew: He may have turned some of us off with his introductory sob story (sorry if you like that kind of thing, but I think too many seasons of American Idol snapped my heartstrings), but Drew is actually a very sweet young man who’s also easy on the eyes!

List Of Shame:

1.Jonathan: Really? Come on, man. What kind of respectable man invites a respectable woman like Desiree to the fantasy suite after less than 30 seconds together? Despicable!

2. Larry: I mean, he didn’t screw up his entrance TOO badly, but did anybody else notice his weird slow-motion blinking technique? Perhaps he was trying to seduce her with a dreamy gaze, but Desiree was none the wiser: “Um… Are you sleepy?” Priceless!

3.Brandon: I think someone needs to find him a tiny violin.

4. Zak: Somehow, he’s still in the running towards becoming Desiree’s main squeeze. Granted, the man’s funny… but he’s also the color of an Oompa Loompa… and half naked. I’m kind of curious to see how his future pans out.

Who stole your heart in this season’s premiere? Who made your skin crawl? Chime in with your opinions via the comments section!

Rebecca is a senior at the School of Journalism and Communication at the University of Oregon. She is currently studying photography and magazine journalism. Hailing from the mountain town of Bend, Oregon, Rebecca values being outdoors, staying active, and the beauty in simple things. She loves seeing what other people are exploring in their fashion and finding new trends. Rebecca is a lover of all things creative, spontaneous, stylish, and interesting.