7 Questions to Ask Before Adopting a Cat in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

For most of you, your college years are the first on your own. After the hours spent breaking in your new place and generally getting used to the fact that you don’t have parents around anymore, a thought might cross your minds—hey, we should get a kitten! Cats are usually pretty relaxed animals and don’t require a lot of maintenance, making them popular college apartment companions. As a cat owner, however, I would suggest asking yourself these questions before you rush over to your local humane society.

1. Is my space big enough?

Especially in their younger years, cats can be pretty hyperactive sometimes. They need open spaces to run around and play; a bedroom simply won’t cut it. In my first apartment, we didn’t have a living room, just four bedrooms with a small kitchen and dining area in the middle. During class, I kept my cat in my bedroom. I would come home to my room totally destroyed on most days, with pictures knocked off the wall, the garbage tipped over, shredded toilet paper scattered throughout my bathroom… the list could go on. So, it’s important to make sure you have enough space for your kitty to get the pent up energy out, and plenty of toys for them to play with.

2. Can I afford the potential damage?

Cats scratch things. A lot. They also like to knock things over when they’re bored, including drinks that may be near your laptop, or flower vases off the shelf. Before adopting a cat, first pay the cat deposit that is required at most apartment complexes, and make sure there aren’t any expensive things in your place that your cat could potentially damage beyond repair, such as leather couches or screen doors. It’s also a good idea to make sure your new kitty is already immunized and spayed/neutered—that can get pretty spendy as well.

3. Will I be home enough?

Cats need daily attention from their owners, just as much as dogs do. If you foresee yourself having a busy schedule during college, it might be best not to adopt one just yet. Otherwise, confirm with your rommates that someone will be there to keep your cat company most of the day.

4. What about after college?

If you’re getting a cat with your roommates, you should first decide who the main caretaker will be; in other words, the person that will be responsible for the cat when you all go your separate ways. Additionally, someone will need to be able to pay for any vet bills in case of an accident.

5. What will I do during breaks?

This is probably one of the most important things to think about, as it is the hardest part about having a cat in college. If you plan on visiting home often, make sure your cat has a place to stay if no one else will be at your apartment. If your home is in another state and you can only travel by plane, this is another important thing to consider. Cats can get stressed out when traveling, so try to keep that to a minimum.

6. Will I be having a lot of parties?

Cats can be territorial and typically don’t do well in crowded or loud areas. If you and your roommates plan on hosting parties on a regular basis, it would probably be best not to get a cat. In addition to the stress it can cause them, being around drunk people is also not advisable because more often than not, it leads to someone letting the cat out, and consequently, hours of searching in the middle of the night.

7. Am I up for the challenge?

I love cats. They’re cute, funny, and make great study buddies during those finals week all-nighters. But if I could go back in time knowing what I do now, there’s no doubt I would ask myself each of these questions before getting a cat, and probably reconsider my decision to rush into it. If you have a house or spacious apartment, some free time, and the commitment it will demand of you, go for it! Otherwise, it would be wise to hold off until you graduate.

Hey! I'm Andréa, a pre-journalism major at the University of Oregon. I love writing, music, fashion and doing adventurous things with my friends. My favorite color is purple and I'm hopelessly addicted to sushi, Pinterest, and Law & Order re-runs.
The official Her Campus Oregon account