This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

In past years, I was an avid reader. All through middle school, I would finish long books and series in a matter of days! But I’ve noticed a disconnect since high school and transitioning to college. It’s not like I wasn’t interested anymore, just other things in my life took precedence. Every time I went to the grocery store or a boutique, I would always look through the book section. No matter how many I would buy, I simply wasn’t reading as much as I used to.

But due to quarantine and learning to take time for myself, I wanted to make that change. I almost forgot the feeling of being totally immersed in a world of fiction and wonder. Or seeing someone else’s life and their own unique point of view. But I am still a working college student and all of those readings from class get boring and honestly tire me out. So here are some of my recommendations for light and quick reading to help you start or get back into a beautiful habit. 

1. Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear by Elizabeth Gilbert. Learn about how to find your motivation and reintroduce yourself to your passions from the author of Eat Pray Love. Gilbert describes her journey as a writer battling writer’s block and the changes in her style, life, perspectives and creative passions. 

2. Happiness Hacks: 300+ Simple Ways to Get––and Stay––Happy by Adams Media. Definitely on the shorter side, but I enjoy cute little books like this that aren’t necessarily stories, but make you take action. Kind of like guided journals, this book gives you ideas to get you out of your head and focus on self-worth and happiness. Also a good idea for a gift for someone else!

3. Sincerely by F.S. Yousaf. Short yet beautiful sentiments about evolving love. Follow this couple’s love story through the form of poetry in which Yousaf collects as a profound way to propose to his girlfriend. 

4.Violet Bend Backwards Over the Grass by Lana Del Ray. Whether you are a fan of her music (I so am) or not, Lana definitely has a way with words. Look at how she expresses the most inner thoughts that differ from her music and allow you to see another side of her. 

5. Note to Self by Connor Franta. This is Franta’s second book and probably the most that I have ever seen of him. I have followed him for years since the OG youtube days. Note to Self just showed me his most vulnerable moments and the thoughts he had about them. Following coming out, new and old relationships, his career and of course his iconic insta-worthy photography that adds so much more to his already vivid words.

6. Badass Habits: Cultivate the Awareness, Boundaries, and Daily Upgrades You Need to Make Them Stick by Jen Sincero. Her first book, You Are a Badass, received so much hype and praise, that the world just needed another one. Not only focusing on goal setting and motivation, but the actual tips and tricks to transform your goals into daily habits.  

Hi there! I'm Geralline, or some people call me Ger for short. I am a junior at the University of Oregon studying public relations. I love all things vintage-inspired, plants, beauty, and any excuse for grabbing a coffee with a friend. I currently work at a local coffee shop in my hometown and have been obsessed with experimenting with new drinks. I am so excited to be a part of such an empowering community of women!
The official Her Campus Oregon account