6 Books I Should Be Reading In 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

As one of my resolutions for the new year, I decided I wanted to read more. I didn’t necessarily make a specific goal like reading one book per month or reading five books before the summer, I simply wanted to create a collection of good books to immerse in and just simply read. Whether you do have a specific goal of reading a certain amount of books, or want to incorporate reading into your self-care routine, I’ve compiled a list of 6 books I recommend reading from poetry, to memoirs and self-help books whenever your ready to cozy up, relax and read for the upcoming year. 

Present over Perfect

~SHAUNA NIEQUIST

In her collection of essays, author Shauna Niequist inspires readers to live a slower, more connected and more simple life. Her compilation of essays focus on the journey of stepping away from a busy and hectic lifestyle to more liberated and free in order to find genuine happiness. After reading this novel, you might feel inspired to discover a path that leads you to a more fulfilling journey of  your own life. 

No Baggage 

~CLARA BENSEN

Author Clara Bensen takes readers on her minimalist journey of love and wandering in her memoir. After meeting someone on an online dating website, she decides to embark on an adventure with a man for 21 days from Istanbul to London. With only a single green dress, a small purse, toothbrush and a credit card, Clara decides to take a trip with no plan and no luggage to fully embrace the challenges, the exciting adventures and love that can come from traveling. 

A Man called Ove

~FREDRICK BACKMAN

Ove – the man character of the story who points at people he dislikes, has strict routines and a short fuse. This feel-good story is about a series of events of meeting two young daughters that develops into a heartwarming tale of friendship. Fredrick Backman’s novel explores the idea of how one life can have a countless impact on many others through the cranky old man that lives next door. 

A Million Miles in a Thousand Years

~DONALD MILLER

Donald Miller shares his stories full of humor, heart-break and beautiful moments into one of his best-selling memoirs. The novel details about his journey of editing his life as if he were a character in a movie. Two movie producers are interested in turning one of his past novels into a film that revolves around Donald’s life. This opportunity gives him the chance to make amends, fill his days with adventure and ultimately live a more profound, fulfilling life. 

The Sun and her Flowers

~RUPI KAUR 

From the best-selling author of Milk and Honey, Rupi Kaur wrote her second collection of poetry. Her variety of poems reflect on her vibrant and transcendent journey of healing and growing. The book is divided into five different chapters through her journey of: wilting, falling, rooting, rising and blooming. Her work involves personal illustrations and celebrates love in all forms. 

You are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life

~JEN SINCERO

This self-help book written by Jen Sincero is a refreshing and entertaining how-to guide that includes 27 chapters full of hilariously inspiring stories, sage advice, easy exercises that ultimately inspire you to create a life that you love. By the end of the novel, you’ll have a better understanding of how to change what you don’t love, how to love what you can’t change and how to essentially become a Badass out in the world. 

Hi! I'm Savannah Mendoza, a senior studying photojournalism at University of Oregon. Photography has always been one of my passions and I also love hiking, smoothie bowls, cats and going to the beach. I'm excited to continue to grow and learn about photography and writing through the opportunity of Her Campus.
The official Her Campus Oregon account