This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

If you’re on the hunt for a new book to curl up in bed with, look no further! I personally enjoy an assortment of books—whether it be a freshly published novel or a popular classic or even a book of poetry. That being said, I find it difficult to set aside time to actually sit down and start a new book. However, this term, I have a little extra time on my hands, and if you’re finding yourself in the same situation, buying or renting a new book could be a helpful option. Below are 7 assorted books to hopefully pique your interest.

1. The Two Lives of Lydia Bird: A Novel (by Josie Silver)

If you’re looking for a recent book (published in January this year) with a powerful message about living in the moment and a strong female protagonist this is it! When Lydia Bird loses Frankie, her boyfriend and best friend since youth, in a car accident, she doesn’t see how life could continue. So when she is given the opportunity to see what life could look like with Frankie if he was still alive, she must choose between two worlds.

2. The Great Gatsby (By  F. Scott Fitzgerald)

Perhaps one of my favorite classics The Great Gatsby is written in and about the wild roaring twenties in among the elite in Long Island. Through the vivid character of Jay Gatsby, his extravagant parties and love for Daisy Buchanan the novel explores life in the 1920s and portrays powerful commentary on the idea of the American dream.

3. The Handmaid’s Tale (by Margaret Atwood)

If you’re looking to read more dystopian novels, The Handmaid’s Tale is a great place to start. A totalitarian group takes over a near future United States by overthrowing the president and government. Through this totalitarian government, the novel explores the oppression of women’s rights as the female protagonist and other handmaidens lose all rights.

4. Wild (by Cheryl Strayed)

Wild is a moving memoir detailing one woman’s 1,000 mile hike across the Pacific Crest Trail. After suffering the loss of her mother and broken relationships with friends and family alike, her journey across the Pacific Northwest is a mix of healing, self-discovery and empowerment.

5. The Sun and Her Flowers (by Rupi Kaur)

This is Rupi Kaur’s second poetry collection, and perhaps my favorite. It introduces themes of love and loss especially in the aftermath of broken relationships. Between the simplistic illustrations drawn by Kaur herself, and the vibrant poetry, one can join Kauer on her road of self-exploration.

6. The Girls’ Guide to Hunting and Fishing (by Melissa Bank)

This book is a series of short stories following the same girl and chronicling different stages of her life. As the protagonist, Jane Rosenal, grows up and navigates school, the workplace, love and relationships, the reader becomes personally connected with her character and can certainly relate to her coming of age story.

Alanna Uding

Oregon '22

Hi I'm Alanna! I'm from Portland Oregon and I'm currently a senior at University of Oregon with a major in Education and a minor in English. I love going on hikes, runs, trying new coffee shops and in my free time, writing. I'm excited to contribute to a creative space focused on empowering women!
The official Her Campus Oregon account