jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

5 Ways to Cope With Seasonal Depression in Eugene

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

We all go through it. Seasonal depression, especially in Eugene, OR, is inevitable and creeps up on you once winter starts and the sun says goodbye…often for weeks at a time. If you’re from sunny California like me, you may get hit harder mentally by the rainy season. However, you’re not alone and you don’t have to suffer! Here are five ways to beat seasonal depression in Eugene!

1. Exercise. This may be a given and you be tired of hearing that exercise cures basically everything. However, it is totally true. Even if hitting the gym is not your thing, there are other fun forms of exercise to boost your endorphins and give you energy! Hike with your friends or bike to Starbucks. Star Cycle is new to Eugene has all the buzz. Another option is Barre 3, which is a great way to challenge your body in new ways.

2. Natural Sunlight lamps! Although it doesn’t hit the same as the actual sun,  natural sunlight lamps exist and work for a lot of people! Either hitting the DuckNest in the EMU or purchasing a HappyLight on Amazon for as cheap as thirty dollars can help the sun depravation and give you natural energy

3. Go away for the weekend. Although this option is not always budget friendly, it is refreshing to get away from your routine in Eugene. Even if it is just getting a cheap AirBnb with your friends in Eugene, going on a girls weekend trip really makes all the difference. Go out to dinner, window shop, and explore the city.

4. Eating healthy and drinking less alcohol. This should go without saying, but it can be hard living with your friends in a college town and not wanting to (stress) eat whenever you want and party hard every weekend. There is nothing wrong with splurging every once in a while, however, alcohol is a depressant and a next-morning hangover can really bum you out, especially if the weather is dreary to add to it. Plus, eating even the slightest bit cleaner and/or cutting out one single unhealthy item out of your diet such as bread or soda, can really make a difference.

5. Take some time for yourself. For some, if exercise doesn’t excite you, your happiest or most relaxing moments may be sitting at home watching your favorite movie or Youtuber with some home cooked food, or even Postmates food to you! Take some time for yourself and make sure to be checking up on your mental health, especially during the cold weather season. Self care!

Maddie Mabie

Oregon '20

Journalism student at the University of Oregon, class of 2020 Carlsbad, CA
The official Her Campus Oregon account