andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Productive Ways to Make Winter Break Less Boring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

It’s officially December, and you know what that means. It means the weather is colder, the coats and multiple layers are going to be put on, the time to stay inside where there’s warmth is essential and celebrating with family and friends becomes key to this time of year. As the term comes to an end, winter break officially begins. However, without the workload of studying for final exams, turning in papers and completing that extra credit that was needed for your grade to be boosted up, there’s not really much else to do. So, I have compiled a list of things to make your winter break more productive and less tedious.

Treat Yourself

Whether that maybe with skincare or buying yourself a sweater for the chilly holidays, self-care is important. When you have the opportunity for a break, it’s best to get in that extra care for yourself. I know for me, skincare is one of the most important parts of self-care, and since the weather is getting colder, my skin routine changes. For example, I have combination skin, but in the colder months, my skin tends to dry up and usually use some time of moisturizer or serum. I recommend Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream, Carmex lip balm and E.L.F. Cosmetics hydrating serum to moisturize my skin and protect it from the cold.

Let It Snow and Cozy up

I am the type of person to stay inside 24/7 whenever I can; given that winter lets me, it’s the best feeling in the world. Staying inside allows me to be mindful of where I am, and I get to snuggle up in a warm blanket instead of going outside in the freezing cold. Nonetheless, there are definitely other ways to stay inside and have fun. I like to make hot chocolate, play board games with my family or watch holiday movies–of course, binging all of them at once. Some current recommendations for holiday movies are Let It Snow available on Netflix or Last Christmas, which is currently in theaters. Or the classics, like Elf, Home Alone, The Grinch and The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Baby It’s Cold Outside

There are also many ways you can get out of the house and have fun. My family and I usually go on a ski trip during the winter break. But, if there aren’t any mountains with snow on it around, you can always go ice skating and spend time with your friends on the ice.

The Most Productive Part

I know when I go on winter break, I usually come back, forgetting all of the information I learned during school. However, I tend to productively use my winter break to reevaluate my life and educate myself on things that I’m interested in. For example, I learned how to make a Japanese recipe for egg custard, called chawanmushi, and it actually turned out pretty good. Other ways you can use your brain during winter break are by learning a new language, cleaning out your closet, working an internship or job or reading a book. And you could even make a New Year’s resolution plan and really try to invest in it. Another way of being productive is by learning from people and their experiences.

Spend Time with Family and Friends

As a student in Oregon, I’m pretty far away from my family that lives in California. With winter break, the best way for me to spend time with the people I love is to do everything on this list literally. I would go ice skating with my best friend, make multiple dishes with my family on Christmas and New Year’s, moisturize and hydrate my skin on the days that it is mostly dry, make a New Year’s resolution that I probably wouldn’t stick to. All while binge-watching all the Christmas movies I have available to me.

Although winter break may seem quick, doing activities and making memories with friends and family actually makes it more worthwhile and especially feels longer when you’re having fun and being productive. So take the time to take care of yourself, spend the holidays celebrating and preparing for the new year. Then come back exhilarated during the winter term with a fresh start. You can take advantage of the new year going strong by meeting new people, joining clubs and doing new activities. So enjoy the time you have during winter break and see you in the new year!

Hi everyone! My name is Melanie Matayoshi and I'm from Los Angeles, California. I'm currently a freshman at the University of Oregon studying to be an Advertising major minoring in Entrepreneurship. I'm a boba addict who loves to travel, hang out with friends and family, find great places to eat, go snowboarding, play golf and basketball and go to the beach. My creative passions are shooting photography, bullet journaling, graphic design and fashion. I am super excited to be a part of the HerCampus team to express myself through writing, share ideas, and inspire others. Welcome to my page and also...SCO DUCKS!
The official Her Campus Oregon account