Weekend Road Trip Destination: Motor Vu Drive In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

Memorial Day Weekend is coming up, and I’m sure we all need a little bit of a break from midterms, papers, projects and homework. Dallas, Oregon is just 40 minutes away and has the perfect spot for relaxing and doing just that!

The Motor Vu Drive In first opened July 22nd, 1953 and featured the movies “Branded” and “Meet Me at the Fair” along with two short cartoons. Now, the Drive In plays family movies, action blockbusters, romantic comedies and just about anything else with a great amount of popularity. There are a few things you can learn to expect from the Drive In every time, and I’m here to tell you a thing or two about that.

1. Make Your Entrance.

The Drive In is open Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays and costs $5 per person with a $20 Min. vehicle charge. 1 to 4 people in your car is $20, and 5 or more is $5 each, so bring your friends and make a night of it. The gates open at 7 pm and the first movie starts at dusk, so plan ahead.

2. Find your spot.

Once you’ve found the perfect spot to watch the movie, you’re going to want to go in to the café and rent a stereo to tune to 96.5 FM so that you can hear the movie more, or you can bring your own personal radio. Spread out your blankets and grab your chairs to set up behind your car and get ready for a great movie.

3. Grab some snacks.

There’s soda, coffee, pizza, hamburgers, popcorn, pickles, candy, nachos and so much more! Have a meal, have a snack, or just caffeinate so you can stay up all night.

4. Stay for one movie or two.

Normally the drive in plays two movies, and you might be staying up until 2 or 3 in the morning, so figure out your drivers beforehand and caffeinate so you can stay alert. Or, just stay for one movie if you aren’t quite the night owl type.

5. Stay Tuned for Special Events.

Around August or September the Drive In usually has a Classic and Muscle Car Cruise In, and there are other nights where certain classic movies or athletic events are played, so check out their Facebook page if you want to know more.

6. Be aware of the Rules.

The Drive In can be a lot of fun, but there are a couple rules you should be aware of so you have a safe and worry-free night! The rules include no alcoholic beverages or drugs, no barking or dangerous animals, and no loud music on drive in grounds. Be aware of their zero tolerance policy and the fact that Dallas Police patrols the area. This place has history and it isn’t something to be taken advantage of, so just be aware and careful.

7. Keep it Alive.

If you really want to support the Frive In Movie Theater, think about buying a gift card, being a repeat customer at the drive in, or getting a t-shirt at the café to keep the drive in alive for many more years to come!

Comment below with a movie you would want to see at the Drive In!

Madeline is a Senior at Oregon State majoring in Merchandising Management and minoring in writing. She was the 2016-'17 president of Chi Theta Phi, a local design sorority on campus. If she's not in class, at a club meeting, chapter, or writing, she's probably spending time with her family, friends, walking her dogs, eating junk food, or watching too many crime, comedy, or fashion shows on Netflix. She likes cheese, dogs, creative projects, obnoxious animal prints, garage sales, farmer's markets, and generally just being silly.