sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Celebrate Valentine’s Day: Singles Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

So you’re single on Valentine’s Day, but you don’t want to just mope around on the day of love. There are plenty of fun activities that don’t involve a date or a romantic occasion. Don’t stress about whether you’re attached or not and have a wonderful Valentine’s weekend with your friends with these fun tips:

1. Decorate!

Have fun decorating your house or apartment with a Valentine’s Day themed wreath, banners, door stickers, wall decals or posters and embrace the ridiculous factor of the holiday. That way you and your friends can really get into the fun atmosphere of the holiday with no moping or stressing allowed!

2. Pick an outfit that you’ll really feel confident in.

Whether  it’s your favorite pair of pajamas, a pretty dress to twirl in, or those bold skinny jeans you rarely break out, Valentine’s Day is the time to take a chance and just have fun with your style! Make Valentine’s Day all about you and loving those who are in your life like family and friends.

3. Find the perfect playlist for dancing around with your girls.

Break out the Beyoncé tunes to belt out, the Katy Perry to dance around to, and the Nicki Minaj to rap along to. Whatever tunes will amp you up for a fun night out or help you relax for a great night of vegging out and watching movies with friends are the right tunes to blast.

4. Get Crafty.

Whether you want to make a last minute gift for the friend you’re sending something to, you want to make something for yourself, or you just want to paint or draw for fun,  just get crafty and go for it! The shopping for supplies at Michael’s or Joann’s can be just as exciting for you and your friends with all the random things you can find. From picture frames to decorate to canvases to paint or even shirts to tie dye there are so many fun things you can do. For inspiration, seek out some of the crafts you’ve pinning on Pinterest – you might as well catch up now!

5. Eat some Junk Food or Get Fancy.

Maybe you feel like pairing your cheesy romantic movies with chocolate or your gory movies with yummy chips and crackers – go for it! Otherwise, you could go in the opposite direction and get dressed up, put your most colorful makeup on and go to your favorite diner or college hang out restaurant with your gals.

6. Make a pink or red beverage, alcoholic or not, to enjoy!

Whether you’re 21 and can go out to the bars on Valentine’s Day or you’re under 21 and want to make a Valentine’s themed strawberry smoothie or mocktail, get creative with it! Make going to the grocery store for ingredients with your friends fun, and be sure to get all of your favorite junk food while you’re there.

7. Watch a cheesy movie: Romantic or Horrific.

Whether you want to cry or scream while falling in love with the characters in The Notebook or Titanic or you want to watch the entire SAW series in one go, staying in and watching movies is always a good way to spend Valentine’s Day with your friends.

8. Go out Dancing!

Maybe you’re in Portland with your friends for the weekend and can go out to a club or a bar, you’re in Corvallis and heard about a themed frat party, or you’re just going to a friend’s house party and you just want to dance – why not go for it? Find the places with the best drink specials or discounts on admission and just have fun! Dance like nobody’s watching, find that cute guy or girl across the room to dance with, or just have fun with your girls while belting it out and singing along to your favorite song.

Be sure to keep an eye out on our social media accounts this coming week for your chance to win some sweet V-Day prizes, and make the most of your Valentine’s Week!

Madeline is a Senior at Oregon State majoring in Merchandising Management and minoring in writing. She was the 2016-'17 president of Chi Theta Phi, a local design sorority on campus. If she's not in class, at a club meeting, chapter, or writing, she's probably spending time with her family, friends, walking her dogs, eating junk food, or watching too many crime, comedy, or fashion shows on Netflix. She likes cheese, dogs, creative projects, obnoxious animal prints, garage sales, farmer's markets, and generally just being silly.