Campus Profile: Benjamin Hamlin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

Name: Benjamin Hamlin

Major: New Media Communications

Year: Senior

This week’s Campus Profile is Ben Hamlin, a graduating New Media Communications student who has already started his own company! Read on to learn more about him:

HC at Oregon State: What are you specializing in for New Media Communicatons?

Ben: I’m majoring in media managament.

HC at Oregon State: What are your plans for after graduation?

Ben: I’m probably going to start crying, TBH. But in reality, I’ve actually started a small media business called Infinity Break with some of my friends. I’m hoping that after college I can devote even more time to it to make it into a full-fledged media company. So far we make comics, podcasts, and comedy sketch videos.

HC at Oregon State: What’s your favorite piece of media that you’ve created so far with Infinity Break?

Ben: I think the project that I’m most proud of is the one that brought us together as a team, which is Alpha Squad. We spent the better part of a year making that, and it was the first time I had worked with many of our current crew members. The actors really got into their characters and improved the script in so many ways. The final product came out so much better than we expected.

HC at Oregon State: What advice do you have for students looking into starting their own companies?

Ben: First things first, do your research. As fun as taxes and employee forms and licenses are, they’re not. There’s a lot more work involved than one might think. Also, make sure you’re working with people you trust. When things get complicated you want to make sure you have the right team.

Her Campus at Oregon State: Take your Pick: Portland or Corvallis?

Ben: Corvallis!

Her Campus at Oregon State: What’s your favorite movie?

Ben: Batman 1966.

Give it up for Ben, and stay tuned as we feature his entire company on a future Campus Profile post! Have an amazing student or group we should feature? Shoot us an email — orstate@hercampus.com!

Lara is a graduate of Oregon State University, with a degree in New Media Communications and minors in writing and Spanish. Currently, Lara resides in New York City and works in the Influencer Marketing space.