Campus Cutie: Kelsea De Filippis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

This week’s Campus Cutie is the adventurous Kelsea De Filippis. Read on to hear more about this fun-loving and free-spirited lady!

Name: Kelsea De Filippis

Hometown: Newport, OR

Major/Minor: Graphic Design

Year: Junior (3rd)

Relationship Status: Single

HC at Oregon State: Why did you choose a Graphic Design major?

Kelsea: Ever since I was little, I learned, expressed and communicated in a very visual or audible way.  Whether that be dance, music, drawing or painting.  I have always loved photography, painting and being outdoors and my career path transformed to combining those aspects.  At the moment, I’m working on a magazine layout design for the TED talk, Miracle on Everest.  It’s an amazing story, and if you have a chance to watch it, I would.  I also combined another TED talk The Joy of Surfing in Ice-Cold Water.  Another interesting video but the both talk about the power of the mind and the willpower to fight through pain when in need.  I love to be able to connect my design and creativity to aspects like these.

HC at Oregon State: Are you involved in anyway at OSU?

Kelsea: Yes, I am!  I’m mainly involved in outdoor activities or trips and C.ore Freeride (not completely affiliated with OSU, but a lot of the members attend here).  I also work at Dixon back in the Indoor Climbing Center and sometimes help out with the Oregon State Surf Class!

HC at Oregon State: What is your best memory so far at Oregon State?

Kelsea: I think when I first got involved with C.ore Freeride (Snow, Surf, Skate Club).  I just threw myself into a group and I didn’t know anyone.  I’m incredibly blessed to know the people I do today because they have taught me so much about the outdoors and even myself.  I must have done something right in my past life to be surrounded by beautiful and adventurous people.

HC at Oregon State: What would be your ideal date?

Kelsea: Either a surf date, or teach me something I don’t know how to do.  I love learning things and I feel like I’m drawn towards the knowledge of something I don’t know.  I also love mornings and going out to get breakfast or coffee.  Dinner nights are fun too! Or rock climbing!!

HC at Oregon State: Do you have any hobbies?  

Kelsea: I love to Surf, Rock Climb, Ski, Down Hill Skate, Run, Paint, Play Piano, Ukulele, Photography and Yoga.  Sometimes I like going on long drives to a coffee shop and just edit pictures or draw and listen to music.  I’m currently trying to get into rollerblading (hard with all the rain) to get better at park skiing and also, Disc Golf and Alpine Touring!!

HC at Oregon State: Do you have any pet peeves?

Kelsea: Yeah, when you paddle for waves that aren’t part of the set and can’t catch them… then when the actual set waves come, you get stuck on the inside and have to power through the whitewash again.

HC at Oregon State: Any celebrity crushes?

Kelsea: Nope, the only people that are important to me are surrounded by me and are involved in my life!

HC at Oregon State: Who is at the top of your music playlist currently?

Kelsea: Led Zeppelin, always and forever

HC at Oregon State: Do you have a favorite movie?

Kelsea: I love skiing or surfing movies.  My current favorites are: Volcom Presents BS!, North of The Sun, and 180 Degrees South.  But… I also love Elf during Christmas :)

HC at Oregon State: Do you have any college regrets?  

Kelsea: No ragraaats. I don’t have regrets.  I don’t like to dwell on the past but instead work on them or use them as reflections for future obstacles.  If we think of memories as regrets, we’ll have a negativity in our outlooks of life, and I’m always trying to look up!

HC at Oregon State: Is there anything that you would like to do before you graduate?

Kelsea: Probably get one of those free massages offered every term I keep forgetting about…

HC at Oregon State: What do you hope to be doing in 10 years?

Kelsea: I honestly don’t know, and I’m completely ok with that.  I believe we should live in the present and in the moment or else we’ll get stuck prepping for something that we might not want to do later on.  Whatever I do now, and today, will ultimately impact my future… so if I’m doing the things I love at this moment, like designing, surfing, skiing, drawing, the odds are, I will love where I’m at in the future.

If you see Kelsea on campus, make sure to say hello! If you want to learn more about C.ore Freeride, check it out here.

Katherine Borchers is a Junior at Oregon State University and is majoring in Digital Communication Arts. She is involved on campus with Res Life and So Worth Loving at Oregon State. You can find her procrastinating real life responsibilities, drinking coffee, and procrastinating some more. When she procrastinates, she loves to sing loudly (not well, either), read books, and do artsy-fartsy stuff.