Campus Celebrity: Lauren Salgado

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

Name: Lauren Salgado

Year in School: Sophomore

Hometown: Tualatin, OR

Major: Graphic Design

This week’s Campus Celebrity is the artistically gifted Lauren Salgado!

HC Oregon State: How and when did you discover your artistic abilities?

Lauren: Ever since I was little I have been into drawing and painting or any creative material I could get my hands on. I loved being able to create something visually pleasing, something that others wanted to look at and admire. Color and shapes were definitely more my friends than numbers and equations growing up. People always think that I was just born being able to draw well, but I’ve been practicing my drawing and line work for years to get the results that you see now.

HC Oregon State: Have you ever had any of your work published?

Lauren: Yes! I’ve most recently been published in Prism, Oregon State’s Art & Literary Magazine. Last spring my design piece “Fog” made the cut.

“Fog” by Lauren Salgado

HC Oregon State: Do you have a favorite piece? What makes it special to you?

Lauren: Well, I don’t know if you can count this as a piece, but my first completed Moleskin sketchbook. It’s a 3.5 x 5.5 inch little red journal that I have filled every page of. It only contains designs and patterns that are black and white, but I think I enjoy it so much because it really describes my personality and work ethic in every page. I spend a lot of time on small tedious things that a lot of people wouldn’t have the patience for.

*Click here to view Lauren’s sketchbook!

HC Oregon State: Do you have any other hobbies or talents?

Lauren: Updating my Instagram is definitely a hobby. It sounds a little pathetic but I always make sure that the overall grid that people see is color balanced and visually pleasing. But hey, 3,000+ seem to like it, so I must be doing something right.

HC Oregon State: What do you hope to do with a degree in Graphic Design?

Lauren: I’m currently starting a business that is design-related with my best friend Alyssa Forest, so if that takes off, that would be the dream. Designing and being my own boss would be pretty sweet. But more importantly I want to do what I love for the rest of my life, and that could be a variety of things, but as long as I’m creating and designing I think I’ll be happy.

Check out the following to see more of Lauren’s work:

Instagram: @lauren.salgado

Tumblr: http://lauren-salgado.tumblr.com/

Check back next week for another featured Oregon State Celebrity!

*All artwork by Lauren Salgado

Riley is a Junior majoring in Merchandising Management at Oregon State University. She is a Disney fanatic, works on-campus between classes, and is the current Vice President of a local sorority; Chi Theta Phi. Outside of involvements at school, you can find her crafting, exploring new music and DJs, or making chocolate chip banana bread.