Campus Celebrity: Kelcee Eaton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

Name: Kelcee Eaton

Hometown: Keizer, OR

Year in School: Senior

Major: Zoology with Pre Vet Option

This week we will be meeting some of the senior Marching Band Leadership Members for our Campus Celebrities and Cuties since they completed their final performance this past weekend! Say hello to senior Color Guard Captain Kelcee Eaton:

HC Oregon State: For how long have you been involved with the OSUMB?

Kelcee: I have been involved with the OSUMB for 4 fantastic years.

HC Oregon State: What made you decide to join the OSUCG?

Kelcee: I participated in color guard in high school for three years. Once I graduated high school I couldn’t stay away from color guard, so I came back as an assistant coach for 2 years while I completed my Associates Degree at Chemeketa Community College. When I transferred to OSU there was no question to whether I would join the OSUCG. I can’t imagine my life without color guard, from the life lessons we learn to the life-long friendships we make, I would be a completely different person had I not joined color guard my Sophomore year of high school. Long story short, I love color guard and wanted to continue my color guard career at the university level!

HC Oregon State: What is your favorite part about spinning for the OSUCG, or being in the marching band in general?

Kelcee: My Favorite part about spinning with the OSUCG is the family like atmosphere and the friendships I have made. My best friends are from the color guard and I don’t know what I would do without them. The staff is very supportive and helps create the family-like atmosphere, and we are all working together to create entertaining shows for beaver nation.

Another great aspect of colorguard is performing. We work hard and prepare different routines for weeks. Being able to put together challenging routines and then perform them well for the fans at football games is amazing. There is nothing like performing at a university football game. There is so much going on, and to be in the middle of it all is incredible and something I will never forget.

HC Oregon State: What has been your favorite memory of being in the band over the years?

Kelcee: The marching band gets to travel with the football team on an away game and these trips are always fun and memorable. My favorite trip has to be the Alamo Bowl Game trip. It was definitely a once and a lifetime opportunity and I thankful to have been a part of it. From it being my first time on a plane to Sea World to the football game, I have so many memories from that trip that will stick with me for a lifetime. One in particular is the Mistletoe Camera before the Shamu Show at Sea World. You can imagine what happened… Sitting next to my boyfriend watching the screen, we see our faces pop up on and before I had time to react Niels was already kissing me. It was pretty funny and something neither of us will forget :).

HC Oregon State: What has been your favorite show theme this year or in years prior?

Kelcee: My favorite show this year has been the Grammy Show with the color guard feature to Macklemore songs. In past years I have enjoyed performing in the Party Rock Anthem Show, the Aerosmith Show with the cool motorcycle drill, and the Michael Buble show.

HC Oregon State: If you could create any marching band show, what would the theme be?

Kelcee: Anyone who knows me, knows my first response to this question is definitely Harry Potter. I love the Potter series and have been a fan since I was a kid, I would be ecstatic to be able to perform a Harry Potter show. Other show ideas include Marvel show, Warner Bros movie show, and of course a Disney show because who doesn’t love Disney?!

Shout out to OSUMB:

Kelcee: As a graduating senior, I just wanted to say thanks to all the people who make up the OSUMB including staff and current and past members. Everyone has made my time in the color guard unforgettable. I will miss all of you wonderful people and you can expect me to be supporter for life! Once an OSU guardian of color, always an OSU guardian of color.  

GO BEAVS!

Lara is a graduate of Oregon State University, with a degree in New Media Communications and minors in writing and Spanish. Currently, Lara resides in New York City and works in the Influencer Marketing space.