Campus Celebrities: Laura Bass & Michelle Riehl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

Name: Laura Bass

Major: Interior Design

Year: Senior

Hometown: Beaverton, OR

Name: Michelle Riehl

Major: Interior Design

Year: Senior

Hometown: Hammond, OR

This week we wll be featuring two Campus Celebrities – the Co-Founders of Chi Theta Phi, a local sorority on campus for women in the School of Design and Human Environment. Read on to find out more about these fabulous women and this amazing organization!

HC Oregon State: Tell me a little bit about Chi Theta Phi.

Laura: Officially founded on February 14th 2013, Chi Theta Phi is social sorority with a professional focus. Our mission states “Members of Chi Theta Phi demonstrate a focus on the School of Design and Human Environment at Oregon State University. We strive to build trusting and long-lasting friendships with fellow SDHE women, benefit our community, and participate in creative activities that will further our understanding in our chosen career paths.” We currently have 43 members, most of which are majoring or minoring in Interior Design, Apparel Design, Merchandising Management, or Graphic Design. For me, Chi Theta Phi has been an opportunity to feel connected with a group of wonderful women. As sisters, friends, and a network of creative women, I know I will always have a family here at Oregon State University.

HC Oregon State: What made you decide to start up Chi Theta Phi?

Laura: Chi Theta Phi started from a conversation I had with one of my good friends. I was explaining to her that I didn’t feel I would enjoy or fit into a traditional Panhellenic sorority, but I wished I had some sort of community that could give me many of the same benefits.  My friend jokingly said to me, “why don’t you make your own?!” At the time I laughed it off. But as I started thinking more about it I realized, why not? I knew this was my chance to create something that could truly benefit SDHE women. With Michelle Riehl by my side, we officially started the process of creating Chi Theta Phi in October 2012.

HC Oregon State: What kinds of obstacles did you have to overcome in getting Chi Theta Phi started?

Michelle: Since we were starting from scratch it was difficult to figure out what to put in a Constitution, or in By-Laws. There is no go to guide to walk you through it. We spent a lot of time looking at other organizations Constitutions and from there were able to create a framework for our own. We had a few people already involved in Greek Life at OSU that helped us along the way, but mostly it was up to us.

HC Oregon State: Do you have any suggestions for students who are trying to start up campus organizations of their own?

Michelle: Set goals. If you are able to break things up into smaller tasks it makes it feel far less daunting. Instead of trying to plan an entire term worth of meetings at once break it down. Plan out the overall activities you want to accomplish that term. Then assign them to specific days. It is less overwhelming to look at a big task in small pieces than as a whole.

HC Oregon State: How can students get involved with your group?

Laura: Contact us at chithetaphi@gmail.com, visit our Facebook page, or go to our website. Our recruitment process begins every year at the start of Fall Term!

HC Oregon State: What is your ideal job?

Laura: My passion is for commercial design focusing on restaurants and hospitality. Born and raised in the Portland Metro area, I have a particular appreciation and desire to pursue green design practices for a sustainable future.

Michelle: I want to go into historical preservation/ renovation. I love old buildings and their history, but at the same time I love converting pre-existing buildings into something new.

HC Oregon State: Who is your role model?

Laura: To be honest, I don’t have one particular role model. I admire any individual that is accepting and kind to others, pursues their passion, and lives to be happy.

Michelle: I don’t really have a role model. In general I gather inspiration from passionate individuals who live their lives to the fullest.

Katherine Borchers is a Junior at Oregon State University and is majoring in Digital Communication Arts. She is involved on campus with Res Life and So Worth Loving at Oregon State. You can find her procrastinating real life responsibilities, drinking coffee, and procrastinating some more. When she procrastinates, she loves to sing loudly (not well, either), read books, and do artsy-fartsy stuff.