All Moved In! What’s Next? – 9 Tips for Living Off-Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

Due to a recent change in school policy, all freshmen at OSU are required to live on-campus to complete their “First Year Experience.” Although first year students may not have much freedom of choice, students in their sophomore year or later still face a difficult decision: whether to live on- or off-campus.

For most people, the draw of living off-campus is very strong. The prospect of independence, and significantly increased square footage that living away from campus offers would make anyone excited! Living on your own may come with a unique set of challenges, but all of them are easily conquered by the prepared collegiette! Here are some tips to get you started:

1. Don’t be afraid to live a mile or two away from campus.Corvallis has a notoriously low vacancy rate, which drives the rent of houses and apartments near campus through the roof. But once you get even a mile away from campus the rent begins to drop, leaving more space in your monthly budget for a night out with your girlfriends.

Isaiah Godby, Fitness & Nutrition major, says the commute to OSU is really easy from where he lives. “Getting a bike is definitely helpful,” he said. “Living close to a bus line helps too, for times of rain.”

2. Take a ride on the Corvallis Transit System.

Speaking of buses – now that you’re an established Corvallis resident, why not get to know the town a little better? Emily Olson, an OSU student studying Human Development and Family Sciences, just moved out on her own. “It would be nice to know which bus goes where,” Olson said. “I’ve tried looking online but got completely lost. I think a lot more students would ride if they knew what to do!”

Pro Tip: For those of you who don’t know, Corvallis Transit System has a really helpful mobile web app that will let you know when the next bus arrives at your stop. Simply type the bus stop number into the box to see what time it will be arriving! Additionally, several amazing iPhone and Android apps are being developed by OSU students as you read this article.

3. Be well informed on your rental’s policies.It’s good know the answer to these questions off the top of your head:

• Are you or your guests permitted smoke on the property?
  • Are you allowed to house a pet?
  • How many parking spots are you allotted, and what is the policy for guest parking?
  • Are you responsible for caring for the outdoor space?
  • What are the typical age demographics of your neighbors?

Knowing the answers to these questions can help you determine whether or not you are living in the right place for you. If you’re next to a bunch of other college kids, for example, you might get away with keeping the music loud a little later, but you’ll want to be extra-courteous if there are children or professionals nearby who need to be early to bed and early to rise.

4. Prepare an evacuation kit.

The chance you’ll need to leave in a hurry is very low, but a tote bag of supplies near the door can be awesome for peace of mind! Here are some things to include:     

• Change of clothes.
  • Bottles of water.
  • Non-perishable snack items, like crackers or nuts.
  • Spare phone charger.
  • Important documents such as your birth certificate, social security card, passport, car title and lease paperwork.
  • A dose or two of any medications you are taking.

5. Expand your cooking repertoire.

Many of us graduated high school only knowing how to make toast and mac n’ cheese – barely. Keep making food you’re comfortable with, but also try and challenge yourself to learn a new recipe every week!

Pro tip: Try searching cooking blogs such as Sports Illustrated model Chrissy Teigen’s “So Delushious” for some crock-pot recipes. You’ll find that it’s oh-so easy to throw food in a pot in the morning and have a delicious meal waiting for you when you get home in the evening!

6. Channel your inner Mom.

Ellen Coulter, OSU Geology student, says she was able to function best when she used her mom’s tried-and-true methods.

“I incorporated her way of doing dishes, cooking and furniture arrangements into my own apartment,” Coulter said. “It has helped keep me organized and it’s a system I’m already familiar with, so it was easier for me to adjust.”

Your parents or guardians are fantastic resources for all kinds of questions and concerns, about plumbing or getting nail polish out of your carpet. Give ‘em a call every once in a while – they’ll be glad to hear from you.

7. Establish solid communication with your roomies.

Before moving into any new place, always go over deal-breakers with your roomies. This could range from where your roomie’s cat is allowed to wander to a nightly noise cut-off time. For the day-to-day stuff, try keeping a dry erase board in a central location. This will help you and your roommates keep track of things such as chore obligations, personal schedules and invited guests, saving you and your buds a lot of grief in the long run!

8. Make extra time in your schedule for friends.

It’s easier to spend time with your friends when you’re all living on-campus, but when you go to live independently, you might find yourself lonely from time to time. Combat this by making plans with friends often, or by joining a new club.

9. Make your living space your own.

A collegiette’s home is her castle! Jyssica Yelas, a Fashion Merchandising Management student at OSU, advises to ask your landlord how creative you can get with your space. “My roommates and I painted a whole wall in our kitchen with chalk-paint that we just got at Fred Meyer,” she said.

Some other recommendations for making your place your own:

• Find inexpensive ways to decorate by visiting Goodwill, the Arc store, or The Cat’s Meow – all local thrift shops whose proceeds benefit great causes.
  • Spend an afternoon on Pinterest learning the various decorating functions of Washi tape and scrapbook paper.
  • Find a candle scent that puts you in your Zen place.

Getting a little creative will go a long way towards loving the space you’re in. As you discover the perks of being out on your own, make sure to stay safe, make smart decisions, and above all have fun in your new home!

I'm an Oregon State Beaver studying Digital Communication Arts!