This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

Ever since I was a child, I never knew what I wanted to do when I grew up. I liked fashion, tennis and music. But what do you do with that! I took public speaking my senior year of high school, and this was the start of finding my career path. I felt like myself when I was talking in front of the class and speaking about matters that were truly important to me. I then decided to major in Communications in college. However, I had this “aha” moment when visiting SUNY Oneonta in high school. I listened to the Admissions Counselor giving the presentation about the school and everything they offer and realized that was how I wanted to use my public speaking skills. As I have gone through college, I have dug deeper into my interest in higher education and have realized other departments I have a passion for. 

I have always been jealous of those people who have known their career path since they were little. I had a hard time accepting that I don’t have a strict path, and it’ll come along the way. As I have gone through college and suffered homesickness and lived the college life, I realized how important college is in a person’s life. College is your first step to the real world, so you need to make the best of it. College is also the time to try new things and make mistakes, because it’ll only benefit you when you enter the working world. For me, college has been a growing phase. I have learned so much about myself in the past 3 years. After experiencing all the ups and downs of college life, I realized that I want to help students succeed in college and grow as individuals. 

Up until going to college, I had never experienced anything that had such a huge impact on my life. I want to help students transition to college life, as I know how hard it can be. I also want to help students find their career path and realize it isn’t as easy as 1,2,3. But most importantly, I want to help students succeed in college and make the most out of their 4 years. There are so many resources on campus that most students never utilize. College can be the best 4 years of your life, and I want to help students experience that. 

My passion for helping college students has only grown over these past 3 years. I have experienced the struggles, and witnessed others experience the struggles. I am still exploring this field and finding which area is for me. But one thing I know for sure is that I want to help students succeed academically, while helping them find their true passion. As I have struggled to find my home away from home, I want to help others find exactly that. College should provide a safe and encouraging environment for students to flourish, and what better job than to help create this? I truly believe in the growth that students can have in college, and I hope to help many students have a great college experience in the future. 

HCXO,

Emily

Hey! I’m Emily and I am a senior Communications major at SUNY Oneonta! I love to play flute and tennis, and be with my family and friends! I can’t wait to write more articles this semester, and share them with everyone! 
Hey Everyone! My name is Melissa Viskoc and I'm a Junior here at SUNY Oneonta! I am an early childhood education major and I'm one of the Campus Correspondents for the Her Campus Oneonta chapter. I spend most of my time watching reality tv and just about every crime show there is! I hope you enjoy my articles !