The Top 5 Things to Do During the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

Winter is one of my favorite months. I know right? I just really like the aesthetic of it. Think about it, hot coco while wrapped up in a blanket watching a Christmas movie while it’s snowing outside. That’s truly living the dream. Here are my favorite things to do during this Holiday season.

1. Go Ice Skating:

When I was little, I used to take ice skating lessons and I was a huge hockey fan, I loved going out on to the ice. I just love the feeling of gliding and twirling and feeling almost weightless. Now I have to go at least once a year. Last year I had the amazing opportunity to go in Norway, that was quite the experience.

2. Watch Christmas Movies:

It sounds cliché but it’s honestly one of my favorite things to do during the holidays. It certainly gets me in the Christmas spirit. My personal favorite is The Polar Express and it always has been. As soon as Thanksgiving passes, it’s the first thing I put on. I really love the message that it has, all you have to do is believe.

3. Have a Snowball Fight:

What a classic am I right? There’s just nothing like pelting your friends with snowballs. You can even get really crazy and build forts and come up with strategies to take down your opponent. I don’t know about you, but I take snowball fights extremely seriously.

4. Decorate the Christmas Tree:

This is probably my favorite part of the holiday season. I love decorating in general but something about decorating a Christmas tree just seems to special. My family always has a routine for it too. First the tinsel goes on, then the ordainments, then the ice sickles, and lastly the angel. I always wanted to be the one to put the angel on top, but I was always too short. To be honest, I still am.

5. Build a Snowman:

How could you not build a snowman during the holidays? It’s so festive! Whenever I did it, it was always my dad and I. We had a snowman building kit and it came with a scarf, hat, buttons, and a carrot nose. We always used mini Oreos as the smile. After we were done we would admire our work by eating the rest of the Oreos that were in the bag.

I hope this helped with figuring out how to spend your holiday season!

HCXO,

Maria

Maria Mawson

Oneonta '21

Maria is a history major at SUNY Oneonta. When she is not hitting the books, she loves to watch sports and spend time with her friends and family.
Emily Barry

Oneonta '19

Hey everyone! My name is Emily Barry and I am currently a senior at SUNY Oneonta! I am a biochemistry student and when I'm not drowning in assignments, I like to read, spend time with friends and family, and binge watch shows on Netflix! Keep up with my articles or follow me on Instagram/Twitter (@emilyrose0328) to get a glimpse at what's going on with me!