Life > Experiences

An Open Letter to My Mom, My World, The Strongest Person I Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

Mom,

The simple fact that I have had you by my side since day one truthfully makes me the luckiest girl in the world. I can’t imagine a world that you’re not in.

I am so grateful for your constant support; whether I was celebrating one of my successes or recovering from a time or another in which I faltered, you were never not there. From throwing literal fits over having to bob my head in the shallow end of the pool (while holding onto the wall, nonetheless) to throwing myself off the high dive, you were always there. And now that I’m in college, knowing that you are just a call away means the world to me.

You have supported me throughout my life, always, although in a transition that felt like the end of the world and the beginning of a new one— for both of us in our own ways— I could not be more grateful. You have gone above and beyond for me, even in little ways and even though I might not always say it, I am so, so, so thankful.

You stand by me even when you don’t necessarily agree, and give me a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold, and an occasional lap to sit on, even at twenty-years-old. You lend your ear to me, even when I don’t deserve it, and even after I’ve more than exhausted my point.

Regardless of the issue, I may have, your words of wisdom and open arms are a constant. You never fail to make me see the light in things; even in instances where I need time— and you give that to me. And thankfully, more often than not, I’m left laughing until we can’t breathe and I’ve totally forgotten whatever small insignificant thing I found myself in turmoil over.

You have always been so strong, especially when I felt weak; and I have always admired you for this. I will never forget laying on your lap in the recliner at seven or eight-years-old with a fever and you held me all night, or the countless times I got sick in the car, or sitting in the living room with you a number of times throughout the night, blowing up a balloon and taking Tylenol for the ear infections that, to both of us, seemed never-ending.

I will always cherish home videos and the way you were with me. Even as a toddler I felt like a little person by your side. You never failed to mention that you were proud of me, or to note that I did my best. You recognized and supported me in my strengths and my weakness, alike. You let me create and fail, and gave me room to grow. You lifted me up and still to this day give me so much comfort in that.

You have loved and lost and yet never lost your hope, or optimism in the world. You see the good in people, especially those who don’t deserve it. You love unconditionally and I hope that, in me, you see some shred of the woman you are. Everything I have I owe it to you, I hope to never stop making you proud and to some day possess even a fraction of your will, your drive, your determination, compassion, and optimism— I could go on and on.

But I will always appreciate how you handled so many difficult situations, and I’m sorry that so many times you probably needed someone to lean on, and instead found yourself comforting everyone else.

You have always given me a soft place to land and a warm place to call home, even in just hearing your voice on the phone, or in a quick text you sent.

I LOVE YOU SO MUCH, MOM!💓

Thank you for everything and I can’t wait to see you soon💓💓💓

HCXO, Chrystal

Hey ladies! My name is Chrystal - I'm an English & General Human Ecology dual major at SUNY Oneonta! I love being involved in our community, both on campus and otherwise! I love writing - about any and everything; hanging out with friends; hitting around a volleyball; traveling (especially, the northeastern coast); and, more or less, playing interior designer on anyone that will let me! I look forward to writing articles that reach out to individuals of a variety of backgrounds, who are struggling with the same kind of issues in a diverse number of ways, while providing my perspective on the things that matter most to me. I'm excited to start my journey here as part of a sisterhood that empowers women in both their strength, as well as in their vulnerability.