Meet This Week’s Campus Celeb, Steph Talarico

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

Name: Steph Talarico

Year: Senior.

Major: Music Industry.

HC: How are you involved on campus?

Steph: “I am a residential advisor in MacDuff Hall, the executive vice president for my sorority Sigma Delta Tau, and a member of the coed acapella group on campus called Hooked on Tonics.”

HC: What is your favorite part about sorority life?

Steph: “My favorite part about sorority life is being a part of something bigger than just yourself. You are a part of something bigger that does great things. You share this amazing, indescribable bond with sixty other girls. I had never thought that I would join a sorority, but I am so grateful I did because the relationships I have formed with these girls are ones that will last so far into the future. Just the other day, I was talking to some of my sisters about being my bridesmaids, that’s how real these friendships are.”

HC: What is it like being an RA?

Steph: “Being an RA is a great and stressful job. You are working 24/7, but I can honestly say that this job is probably one of the most rewarding jobs that I will ever work in my life. I have the resources to help my residents with any problem, or at the very least the ability to direct them to the right place. My staff is also one of my major support systems. I think we all work together and feed off of one another to create the best community in our building that we possibly can. This job is also very flexible. It allows me to be crafty, educational, and supportive. This job has helped me improve my time management skills and has taught me how to work with many different personalities.”

HC: Which activity do you feel has really helped shape your experience here at Oneonta?

Steph: “There isn’t one specific thing. It is a combination of everything that I am involved in. My job makes me feel important, my sorority makes feel accomplished and supported, and Hooked on Tonics allows me to do what I love at least three times a week.”

HC: Who has inspired you most since being here at Oneonta?

Steph: “One of my sorority sisters. She was the one who made me want to join Sigma Delta Tau and made me want to take on leadership roles. She always reminded me that I am a person. Sometimes when I was struggling, I lost sight of that, and she was always there for me.”

HC: Any advice for freshman?

Steph: “Don’t wear your lanyard around your neck! But always walk like you have a purpose, because you do. Don’t let anyone stop you from doing what you love.”

HC: What advice do you wish you could tell your freshman self?

Steph: “Everything is going to be okay. It might seem real crappy right now, but it will get better and everything will be fine.”

Fun Facts

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio

HC: What is one thing you can’t leave your dorm without?

Steph: “My headphones- I will freak out if I don’t have my headphones.”

HC: Do you have a motto/ words that you like to live by?

Steph: “Everything happens for a reason. Whether it is good or bad, it was meant to happen and will somehow benefit you at some point in your life.”

HC: What is one of your favorite spots on campus?

Steph: “I love the library because I can walk in there and find at least one person that I know.”

My name is Stephanie Nogid, but I usually go by Steph! I'm a sophomore studying Communications. I'm from Long Island and I love the beach!
Hey everyone! My name is Callan Fridgen, and I'm a junior at Oneonta State studying Communications with a minor in Public Relations. Find me on Instagram @callanfridgen