Headbands of Hope

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

When I met my freshman year roommate back in the fall of 2013 I immediately knew it was a match made in heaven. Missy brought out all the best parts of me. I guess you could say she “watered” my roots and helped me bloom into that vibrant flower I always wanted to be at college. Missy is the kind of girl who finds the deepest joy in motivating others and diving into the deep end of any adventure.

Among these wonderful traits Missy also finds the utmost satisfaction in helping anyone and everyone who needs a hand. Missy volunteers in upstate New York at Camp Good Days and Special Times, a summer camp for kids affected by cancer. She has done this for 6 summers. But it definitely would not be in Missy’s character to stop there. When I was friend requested on Instagram by Oneonta Headbands of Hope I should have known that the mind behind the page was none other than my freshman roomie.

Headbands of Hope is not just another line of fashion forward accessories. Back in 2012, as a junior at North Carolina State University, Jessica Ekstrom founded Headbands of Hope after recognizing young girl’s attraction toward wearing headbands during chemotherapy. As a new agent for this company, Missy is spreading awareness of this beautiful movement for people fighting their own battle. For every headband bought, another one is donated to a child searching for a silver lining.

Not only are there “blinged out” head accessories for girls but there is also a “line of buffs” for boys. And as of 2015, Ekstrom and her team have extended their services by creating The Hope Market; a company that designs necklaces, hair ties and shirts. The money from purchases go toward a different cancer charity every month. Because of Ekstrom’s selfless act of kindness, Headbands of Hope has donated to every children’s hospital in the nation.

It is only suitable that my friend, Missy Hope, would be the one to spread the word for this awesome company to SUNY Oneonta students. I am proud to know this girl and also to be a customer of Ekstrom’s. If you are looking for a beautiful new accessory to finish off your look, head to headbandsofhope.com and help others in the process!

Hey everyone my name is Katie! I am an upperclassmen at the State University of New York at Oneonta. I study Communication and psychology. I am from a city right outside of Albany, New York. At the moment I am involved in the Communication Honor Society, Lambda Pi Eta. I am also a part of the Communication Arts Society on campus. As you can tell I love everything dealing with communication and the study of the different ways people communicate. SUNY Oneonta has influenced my life in numerous ways and I cannot wait to share with you all, all things Oneonta!
Hey everyone! My name is Callan Fridgen, and I'm a junior at Oneonta State studying Communications with a minor in Public Relations. Find me on Instagram @callanfridgen