Career

A Few Facts about Former First Lady Michelle Obama

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

Born: January 17th, 1964 in Chicago Illinois

Education: Princeton University 1985, Harvard University 1988

Married: Former President Barack Obama on October 3rd, 1992

Career:

Following her graduation from Harvard Law School, Michelle began to work at a Chicago law firm where she met Barack Obama. In 1991, she started to work as an Assistant to Mayor Richard Daley, and moved on to be the Assistant Commissioner of Planning and Development for the City of Chicago. Michelle began working at the University of Chicago as the Associate Dean of Student Services in 1996. Then in 2005, she was appointed Vice President of Community and External Affairs at the University of Chicago Medical Center; she continued at this job until Barack Obama’s inauguration in 2008.

Life as First Lady:

Michelle Obama was a strong supporter of her husband during both of his presidential campaigns, and throughout his presidency. In 2007, she took a step back from her own career to help with campaign obligations. Michelle Obama focused on issues such as supporting military families, supporting working women, and most notability she focused on health and wellness, especially of children. In 2012, she launched the Let’s Move! campaign.

After Leaving the White House:

In 2018, Michelle Obama launched her memoir Becoming. It describes her life story and how she went from growing up on the South Side of Chicago, to becoming First Lady of the United States, and a role model to young girls and women all over the world.

HCXO

Sydnie

Hey guys, I'm Sydnie Rosenfeld. Currently I am a sophomore Child and Family Studies major at SUNY Oneonta, planning to become a guidance counselor. I was born and raised in Staten Island, NY. In my spare time I love hanging out with my friend, watching Netflix and Hulu, especially Friends and Grey's Anatomy. I am involved in many things on campus other then HerCampus, I am an orientation mentor(OM) and a New Student Mentor(NSM) with New Student Services, I’m a brother of Alpha Phi Omega and I am heavily involved with the Hillel and Chabad. Through my articles I hope to convey whats important and interesting to me and my life. To keep up with me and my hectic life follow me on instagram @sydniebryce99