This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

Whoever said living & dealing with curly hair was easy clearly has no idea what they were talking about. Curly hair is the pain above all pain. Trust me, I’ve done everything you could think of to try & figure out how to tame it & the truth is its just not possible. When I say everything, I mean pretty much everything. Keeping it long, cutting it short, combing instead of brushing, using hair mousse, hair spraying it until its solid, & even getting it permanently straightened. Even so, curly hair has a mind of its own & regardless of what you do, what products you use, or how you wear it. Yet over the years, I have developed my own tricks & tips to help tame the mane that don’t break the bank at the same time. 

1. Brush your hair in the shower. 

Trust me, I know people say they don’t recommend this, but honestly, it’s the only time I can possibly brush my hair. It’s very rare for me to be able to get the brush through my hair unless my hair is wet & covered in conditioner. The alternative of brushing my hair when its dry just leaves me looking like the cowardly lion from The Wizard of Oz.  

2. The type of shampoo & conditioner you use doesn’t really matter.

Regardless if it says frizz control, humidity resistant, or smooth hair, in the long run it doesn’t make much of a difference because, like I said, curly hair has a mind of its own. With that, the way my hair ends up is often based on the temperature that day, or how I let it dry. So, don’t worry about spending your money on expensive products made for curly hair, because in the long run, it doesn’t play a huge role. 

3. Use less heat!

It’s no secret that when you don’t use heat, your hair is healthier. Not only that, but your curls will be happier! It’s happened one too many times that I have straightened my hair & when I wash it after, it’s like my hair is revolting against me! I’m not saying not to use heat, just do so in moderation & your curls will hopefully cooperate just a little bit more.

4. Use leave-in conditioner.

If I could share one secret with you, it would be the power of leave-in conditioner. It works wonders, I put some in my hair after I shower, when I wake up, or whenever I feel like my hair is in need of a little touch-up. First of all, it doesn’t make your hair hard, which stops it from looking rigid like hairspray often leaves it. Second, it is not at all expensive! When I’m home, I pick one up at the beauty section of stores such as Marshalls, TJ Maxx, & Burlington! Lastly, it often leaves your hair smelling amazing, too!

It’s just important to realize that while you can’t stand your hair, others are completely in love with it & wish they had it! So, remember, however you choose to wear it, wear it with confidence & pride because it’s beautiful, regardless.

HCXO,

Abby

Emily Barry

Oneonta '19

Hey everyone! My name is Emily Barry and I am currently a senior at SUNY Oneonta! I am a biochemistry student and when I'm not drowning in assignments, I like to read, spend time with friends and family, and binge watch shows on Netflix! Keep up with my articles or follow me on Instagram/Twitter (@emilyrose0328) to get a glimpse at what's going on with me!