8 Things to Take Advantage of on the Oneonta Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

SUNY Oneonta is full of awesome opportunities for everyone! There are a lot of chances on campus that not everyone takes advantage of enough, or even knows about! The following are 8 things to do on campus before graduating and actually having to pay for them…

The Planetarium

Yes, there is a planetarium on campus and no, not a lot of people even know about it. It is a small one but it’s free! It is located in the basement of the science building and has a different theme to the show depending on what night you choose, like “Sky Talk: Life Cycles of Stars,” or even “Sky Talk: Comets, debris, and meteor showers.” I recommend that you take advantage of this free show while you have the chance. But hurry because seats fill up fast! You can find the showings here: http://www.oneonta.edu/planetarium/publicshow.asp

The Pool

You don’t have to be on the swim team to benefit from the pool! Suny Oneonta has a pool located in chase gym and has open swim hours for anyone Monday-Friday 12pm-2pm and 8pm-10pm and on Saturday and Sunday 2pm-5pm. Why not gather your friends and go for a swim or even fit in a pool workout!

The Gym/Racquet Ball Courts

I know a lot of people obviously know about the gym but they should really use it while they can. Gym memberships could cost you hundreds of dollars a month so why not use the two FREE gyms that we get when going here? The gym is equipped with free weights, machines, treadmills, elliptical and even an indoor track.  There are also classes you could take ran by students for an amazing workout. Everyone could find something that they want to do. Alumni gym also has two racquet ball courts open for anyone to play in! Why wouldn’t you use these things while you can?!

College Camp

Right down the road from campus we basically have another campus, but outdoors! Oneonta also owns college camp, and not enough people use this opportunity. College camp has a lodge that you could book to stay at overnight with you and your friends, it’s like a mini vacation! There is also spots to have picnics and a basketball court. College camp is also home of three hiking trails, and fishing at the pond; and of course beautiful views!

Outdoor Adventure Club

This club is open to anyone! The club is run by faculty and a great time. You are able to sign up for many activities with the club including things such as, hikes, kayaking, whale watching, rock climbing and horseback riding. Everything is usually free, and you fully take advantage of the beautiful surroundings of our campus.

Career Development Center

I know you have probably had a person come to every single one of your classes talking about what they could do for you, so I won’t go into too much detail, but this really is a great resource. The career development center could help you with your resume, cover letter, internships, job searches and so much more. Why not use this to your advantage while you are able to? Once you go to Oneonta, you are always able too take advantage. Alumni are also welcomed to the help that the career development center offers.

The Dragons Lair

Located right in Hunt Union is the Dragons lair. The dragons lair is a fun place to go and chill with your friends and of course play video games. The Dragons lair has Xbox one, PlayStation 4, Wii U, Xbox 360 and more! And all for free!

The Red Dragon Theatre

Free popcorn! What else is better. The red dragon theatre also located in Hunt Union is full of free movies and free popcorn. Yea, sometimes the moves aren’t that great but it’s a fun free night to see a new movie with friends so why not swing on by.

Sophia Pinciotto is a Junior at SUNY Oneonta studying Communications and minoring in public relations. Sophia was born and raised on Long Island and loves to workout, sing, and write!
Hey everyone! My name is Callan Fridgen, and I'm a junior at Oneonta State studying Communications with a minor in Public Relations. Find me on Instagram @callanfridgen