This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ole Miss chapter.

By Claire Biggerstaff

I am a year-round reader, but Fall always seems to be the time that I am even more inclined to read. Whether I’m in a sweater with my pumpkin spice latte, sitting on my favorite spot on campus or in our local bookstore on a cloudy day, something about the fall makes me want to read as many books as possible. The books I listed below are some of my most recent favorites. I will not go into extreme detail about the plot, but rather focus on what you will get from the story. Of course, you might derive something completely different from your interpretation. Whatever these books bring you, I hope they will inspire you in this season of change!

1. Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman: After I finished this book, I was not completely fine. I was completely emotional but in all the best ways! This book was very sad at some points, but the sadness is balanced well with incredibly heartwarming and hilarious moments. If you read this book, you will finish it with a revived sense of compassion. This is my favorite book I have read in a long time, and I do not think it will disappoint.

1. Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly: If you are like me and often get overwhelmed by all the problems in the world, then this is a story to encourage you! It follows the story of several women before, during, and after World War II. In the end, some of their stories come together in a way that reminds the reader of the power that women have to look out for each other and how we should all strive to be the voice for the voiceless.

1. To All the Boys I Loved Before by Jenny Han: Ok, yes you have probably already watched the Netflix film ten times, but that’s all the more indication that you will love this book. I read this book in high school and seeing the movie reminded me why I loved it so much! The book is such a heartwarming representation of family and a reminder to be brave in life.

1. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline: I will be honest, if you are like me and you are not super into video games or sci-fi, this book takes a little while to get into, but in the end, it was well worth the read! It is futuristic, but it is not hard to see how our modern world could end up in a similar state soon. This is fantasy, but it is also a look into the all-too-real social and environmental issues our world is facing today.

5. Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan: You have probably seen this trailer all over the place or maybe you have even seen the movie (I am hoping to see it soon). This book is all the fun of “Gossip Girl” while learning about different Asian cultures along the way. It is a great way to think about our materialistic world and what it means to hold on to your individuality.

Sarah Smith

Ole Miss '20

Sarah is a Journalism student at the University of Mississippi. She is currently working on her first novel which she hopes to be published before she finishes college in 2020. Nerd to the heart, Sarah is always blasting Guardians of the Galaxy in her car, and her dorm or house is where the nerdy movie and book fest never ends. She aspires to be a lifestyles magazine writer and a novelist after college.