Culture > News

Black History Month: Growing from the Past, Hopefully to a Better Future

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ole Miss chapter.

By Mavis Heasley

Black History Month is more than recognizing the strides made by African-Americans since it became celebrated nationwide in February 1970: it also serves as a reminder of centuries that blacks spent suffering at the hands of whites, struggling for equality in a system seemingly rigged against them. Although the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendments were ratified with the purpose of protecting African-Americans rights under the Constitution, action was taken to prevent the equality sought by the oppressed party. Jim Crow laws and black codes were soon put into action in the South, Plessy v. Ferguson introduced “separate but equal” segregation laws, and an umbrella of race-based aggression against African-Americans that continued well into the 20th century. Despite the 15th amendment being adopted in 1870, African-Americans were not able to vote until 1965 after the passing of the Voting Rights Act. This was no random feat, though: the Civil Rights movement was in full swing, African-Americans across the United States using their voices to stand up for their rights, equality was finally on the horizon. Racial and cultural diversity was beginning to be celebrated, rather than attacked or threatened, due to the courageous efforts of activists in the Civil Rights movement.

https://www.fastcompany.com/3061779/how-designers-can-help-the-black-lives-matter-movement

As Americans, we often hear about the great leadership of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., the bravery of Rosa Parks, even Ole Miss’ own James Meredith and his impactful role in desegregating our campus. These legendary figures of the Civil Rights movement paved the way for and inspire activists today, such as those involved in the Black Lives Matter movement. The Black Lives Matter movement is often compared to the Civil Rights movement, as those involved in BLM wholeheartedly believe that African-Americans continue to be marginalized and oppressed in the United States. Recent increased awareness of police brutality, gun violence, racial profiling, and inequality has driven many to protest the everpresent systemic racism in America. The month of February is used as a platform for activists to educate the general public on racial inequality in America and to honor the valiant efforts of African-Americans overcoming adversity. Black History Month reminds us not only of the accomplishments made by African-Americans but that there is still much work to be done in the fight for equality.

HC Ole Miss
Taylor is a senior at the University of Mississippi. She is a Physics and Biology major minoring in Chemistry and Italian. Taylor is a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Ole Miss and was a founding member of the Ole Miss chapter. Taylor also serves as the Treasurer of Society of Physics Students and mentor to 33 wonderful transfer students at her university. She absolutely loves to dress up, no matter the occasion. Also an avid cosplayer, she loves attending comic conventions and showing off her Wonder Woman cosplay as well as her Raven costume. Taylor loves to write about her personal experiences and how-to articles.