This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

Name: Angie Bargon AKA June

Hometown: Yonkers, NY

Birthday: February 12

Major: Marketing

Grad Date: Fall 2016

Your stage name is June, where did that name come from?

June started in 2014. I was on the phone with one of my friends and I was going through some hardships in life, my friend told me to put it in my music; and it happened to be during the end of June. June is the journey of balancing and finding myself. June is also the month of vitality, freedom, balance, and connecting. My friends at school also call me June, short for Junior; My friend Phil calls me that because I used to play basketball and he calls me a Junior Skylar Diggins (WNBA player) or Junebug, or JUNE.

When did you first discover that you had a voice?

In preschool; but my kindergarten teacher heard me singing and encouraged me to perform a solo in my kindergarten’s winter concert.

Who are your musical influences?

Brandy, Chris Brown, Mya, Faith Evans, Frank Ocean, Usher, India Arie *laughs*there’s so many different artists that influence my style. I can’t just choose one.

What genre is your music?

I don’t even know yet. I’m still trying to find my style. I don’t wanna box myself in. I don’t want to say R&B because that’s not who I am but it’s very R&B influenced.

How do you balance doing music, being a student, and working?

It’s hard! *laughs* I just try to balance everything out. The biggest lesson I learned is to not complain.

What will you remember the most about Old Westbury?

I’ll remember that I found myself. I found out what I’m passionate about and what I love to do and that is music.

What artists would you like to work with?

I would love to work with French Montana (laughs)

(laughs) that was random, why him?

I love rappers, I don’t want to sing with another singer, I want to sing along with a rapper. A$AP Rocky and Dave East, those are who I would do songs with. If it came to writing it would be Frank Ocean, Eric Bellinger, and Sean Garret.

What is the biggest challenge you faced so far?

Acknowledging my self-worth, having the strength to believe in myself and what I am capable of.

Do you have any other interests?

Playing basketball, graphic designing, photography, and directing movies.

Shakira is a senior at SUNY Old Westbury from Brooklyn, New York. She is a media and communications major that's interested in radio and tv broadcasting and public relations. 
Nathalie Ligonde is a senior at SUNY at Old Westbury majoring in Media and Communications. She is a Campus Co-Correspondent at Her Campus at Old Westbury. Ligonde is passionate about travelling, writing and learning new languages. She enjoys binging TV shows and movies on Netflix and loves hanging out with her friends. Her dream is to make a difference in the world by inspiring people to love themselves and others for who they are. You can follow her on Instagram to see all her adventures: @nathzwhatz