New Year Including Jail for Shailene Woodley?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

Actress Shailene Woodley’s New Year’s resolutions may include jail time. The “Divergent” star is due back in court on January 25. Her trial date was set early Monday in Mandan, North Dakota. If convicted, Woodley could face up to two months in jail and $3,000 in fines. The actress later attended the InStyle Awards in Los Angeles, where she was esteemed for her advocacy work.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt, her co-star in Snowden, introduced her saying:

“Not only does she have fantastic style, but she’s setting this example of what she really cares about—putting her priorities where they are. I just think it’s such a luminous example to set for all of the people that admire her—young, old, male, and female.”

Woodley stated: 

“This is the first time the InStyle Awards has had an advocacy award. Because of this election and because of so many issues that are facing not only our country but our planet, everyone is becoming aware and expanding our consciousness and expanding our horizons to include philanthropy in all aspects of our lives.”

She continued:

“The state of the world, the way that it exists right now, we’re kind of looking at a future that may not be so bright if we don’t start taking action now… I’ve been blessed with this amazing platform and I’m going to use it in every single way possible to ensure that I can have children and those children can have clean water to drink and oxygen to breathe.”

Woodley was arrested for criminal trespassing and engaging in a riot on October 10 along with 27 other activists, while protesting the controversial Dakota Access Pipeline. Construction of the pipeline has been widely protested and has since been put to a halt. The Standing Rock Sioux tribe fear that the $3.8 billion project will create toxic water systems and destroy tribal burial sites. Protests have been underlying in the media for months. 269 people have been arrested for protesting so far.  

This hasn’t stopped her from protesting what she believes in, however. Just last weekend Woodley attended the Climate Revolution demonstration in Los Angeles. The group’s goal is to end the use of fossil fuels and other issues regarding climate change.

Michelle is pursuing a degree in Media and Communications at SUNY Old Westbury. All that really matters to her are cute dogs, good food, and making her dreams come true. As a wise woman once said, "Never apologize for being a powerful f*cking woman."
Deirdre Bardolf

Old Westbury

"With freedom, books, flowers, and the moon, who could not be happy?" Student, 22. Long Island