Movies to Watch in Honor of Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

In light of Women’s History Month, I’ve decided to watch movies that are based on strong women. Here is a short list of my favorites:

1. What Happened, Miss Simone

This documentary film about Nina Simone, African American legendary musician and activist shows unreleased footage, the singer’s greatest hits, and interviews with her friends and family. The film highlights her struggles with depression throughout her career.

2. Enough

A movie based on the book Black and Blue, starring Jennifer Lopez. Her character Slim, is experiencing domestic violence. I’m sure every woman who has seen this movie was rooting for Slim to kick some butt!

3. Mona Lisa Smile

Starring Julia Roberts’s, this film shows an Art History professor teaching young women that they can be more than wives and mothers.  You must watch it!

4. Lila and Eve

After losing their kids, two mothers played by Viola Davis and Jennifer Lopez join forces to seek revenge on those who took their children’s lives away. This is a very heartfelt movie.

5. The Princess and the Frog

What kind of list would this be without a Disney animation? This film is about a young diligent waitress who aspires to own her own restaurant but after kissing a prince who gets turned into a frog by an evil witch, she gets turned into a frog herself! She has to find a way to transform back to her normal self or she will remain a frog forever. This film is adorable!  

Shakira is a senior at SUNY Old Westbury from Brooklyn, New York. She is a media and communications major that's interested in radio and tv broadcasting and public relations. 
Nathalie Ligonde is a senior at SUNY at Old Westbury majoring in Media and Communications. She is a Campus Co-Correspondent at Her Campus at Old Westbury. Ligonde is passionate about travelling, writing and learning new languages. She enjoys binging TV shows and movies on Netflix and loves hanging out with her friends. Her dream is to make a difference in the world by inspiring people to love themselves and others for who they are. You can follow her on Instagram to see all her adventures: @nathzwhatz