This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

Being born in Queens, I grew up listening to rap and R&B legends, but nothing compared to the feeling of hearing those icons perform live at Citi-Field. Music is not just music, it is energy that comes with vibrations that affect the mood of the listener. Music is an art form for the listener to get a sense of fulfillment out of a beat or lyric. I experienced this fulfillment first hand while walking up to watch some of Hip Hop’s legends live.   

Walking up to will-call for my tickets gave me a rush of excitement because I heard Erkyah Badu’s “Love of My Life” upon my arrival. The energy in the crowd once you entered the venue was one excited and welcoming, and I never felt uncomfortable if I was too young to know a song. Even those attending the festival who were far too young to know all the music would throw their hands up and dance, which was encouraged by the crowd.

The music appreciation of fans was put to the test when songs were played from Hip Hop’s Golden era. LL Cool J brought out two members (Melle Mel & Mr. Ness aka Scorpio) from the Furious Five, and they performed the famous song “The Message” (a song that set the tone for an emerging culture to expose the living conditions and lives of people in urban communities). The words in this famous song evoked emotion in listeners who were facing similar realities, and the crowd chanted the lyrics “Don’t push me cause I’m close to the edge, I’m trying not to lose my head!” This was followed by a classic “Rock the Bells” as the audience nodded to the funky beat, and all ages screamed in excitement.

The crowd grew larger after De La Soul’s performance, all while throwing their hands in the air singing “Me, Myself and I.” The lyrics became meaningful to the audience because they’re not only catchy, but nostalgic. Minutes later, the time for the new culture of Hip Hop’s artists was approaching. A bigger stage was surrounded by a sea of people from all walks of life and different cultures. However, they all shared the universal language of music, while creating a memory right in the heart of Queens. Future was on stage with DJ Esco, the crowd’s energy was overpowering when he brought out Young Thug, Yo Gotti, and Nicki Minaj. It was a momentous experience to not just see the plethora of different people gather, but also the different era’s of a music genre created to stir social, political, and economic change.

Jessinta Smith

Old Westbury

Jessinta is a Media and Communications major at SUNY Old Westbury, and has written for varying outlets including Out.com and StudyBreaks. She edits, writes, and is CC for HCOW, and discusses everything from mental health to politics. To see more of her work or get in contact with her, visit jessintawrites.wordpress.com.