Having An Older Brother

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

Having an older brother can be funny and terrifying all in one. It’s like having a third parent that is also competing to be the favorite child, while sabotaging the others chances. So, pretty much chaotic, but in a fun way.

When I was younger, I had to learn how to fight just to survive. My brother used to always watch Wrestlemania and other fighting shows, and I guess he thought it was normal to try moves like “the tombstone” on his baby sister.

He also loved to throw metal cars at me, and one actually left a scar on my face. I guess my parents didn’t think I needed stitches at the time. But, through all the blood, sweat, and tears, we both grew up to rely on one another.

He used to always pick me up from school whenever I needed a ride and not because my parents told him to. He actually wanted to pick me up and scare away all the boys that tried to talk to me. I am 21 and married, and to this day he is still scaring off boys (including my husband.)

As we’ve gotten older, we’ve become more like friends than siblings. These past few years have been super rough for him. He had 3 ACL surgeries (he tore one twice), and I was there for each surgery and was basically his caretaker.

Whenever either of us goes out drinking, the other always offers to take them home. I don’t really go out much, so it’s mainly me picking up him and his friends. He gets me food, so I don’t mind it that much.

I know I can confide in him more than anyone I know. He was the first person I told that I got married, and he kept my secret until I was ready to speak to my parents.

I love my older brother, and I am glad we’ve grown closer over the years.

Otelia Mabry

Old Westbury '20

A tenacious journalist, feminist, and model fighting the good fight for equality, information, and intellect. "Give me one firm spot on which to stand and I shall move the earth."- Archimedes