Growing Up With Caribbean Parents in America

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

Caribbean people might be the most unforgettable set of people that you’ll come across in your life! From the music, to the food, Caribbean culture is one of a kind. Many of my friends and I have Caribbean parents and we love to share cultural jokes amongst each other. Here’s a list of things you may relate to if you grew up with Caribbean parents:

1.     They refer to the islands as “back home” and call the U.S. “the states”

2.     Tea is the cure for every illness!

3.     Vicks Vapor Rub is also used to cure every illness!

4.     Most parties include lots of whining, “wukkin up”, and alcohol!

5.     A beating is called “licks”

6.     You either got licks with a belt, hanger, slipper, or some random item around the house.

7.     Gas is the cause of any pain you have in your body.

8.     Saturday mornings are filled with cleaning the house while listening to old school calypso/reggae.

9.     They probably tell you “who don’t hear must feel” when you don’t listen.

10.  When you open a container of butter in the fridge it’s actually seasoning or food.

11.  Black (rum) cake is made for special occasions!

12.  They send a barrel of items back home for friends/family members.

13.  There’s multiple plastic bags stashed in the kitchen somewhere.

14.  You were taught to hand wash your underwear.

15.  They use a knife to sharpen pencils!

16.  They make their own seasoning for cooking.

17.  There is a bottle of Dettol somewhere in the house.

18.  You weren’t allowed to touch your juice until you finished eating your dinner.

19.  You got licks for stealing meat out of the pot on the stove!

Shakira is a senior at SUNY Old Westbury from Brooklyn, New York. She is a media and communications major that's interested in radio and tv broadcasting and public relations. 
Nathalie Ligonde is a senior at SUNY at Old Westbury majoring in Media and Communications. She is a Campus Co-Correspondent at Her Campus at Old Westbury. Ligonde is passionate about travelling, writing and learning new languages. She enjoys binging TV shows and movies on Netflix and loves hanging out with her friends. Her dream is to make a difference in the world by inspiring people to love themselves and others for who they are. You can follow her on Instagram to see all her adventures: @nathzwhatz