This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Photo by rawpixel on Unsplash

If you’re like me, after a couple weeks into class, you start to get a little distracted: pulling out your phone instead of taking notes or doing homework for another class in an effort to multitask. However, these distractions can eventually become detrimental to your grades. To counteract this, here is a list of ways to stay engaged in class is below.

1. Go to class. While this may seem like an obvious answer, many people don’t go when they start to get bored. If you go every day, you’re sure to notice a difference in your understanding of the material.

2. Make sure you’re prepared. Do any reading you need to do beforehand so that you have a basic understanding of what will be talked about. Make sure to have paper and pencils to take notes.

3. Take notes. The only way you’ll really remember what was said in class is by writing it down. Specifically, you should take notes by hand, as the act of writing helps you retain it even better than typing it. Later, read over your notes a few times to fully understand and remember the content.

4. Participate. If you have questions, ask them. If you sit there confused about the content, but you never get clarification, you will have a hard time learning anything related to it. Also, make sure that you speak up in class discussions. That way, you’ll find new ways of thinking and learn more about the class content.

5. Limit distractions. When you get to class, put your phone on airplane mode. Write a note to yourself that your computer is only for your current class’ work. Sit close to the front or center so that you can hear and see your professor.

These are just a few ways to stay focused and productive in your classes. Hopefully, some, if not all, will help you be more successful and engaged in your classes!

Biomedical engineering sophomore at University of Oklahoma. Hoping to change the world through small interactions and opinionated writing.
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!