Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Tips to Keep Long Distance Relationships Closer than You Think

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Photo by Hian Oliveira on Unsplash

It’s hard to find the right one but have them so far away. Here are some tips to make that distance feel smaller.

1.     Talk on the phone.

Texting excessively might not be the right thing to do, but it’s okay to talk on the phone. Facetime or Skype them. Seeing and hearing them will make it a lot easier than reading a plain text message.

2.     Be interested in learning about their day.

Everyone does something each day. Ask them how they are doing and what they did. Being interested in them makes them feel like you care and will fall closer. Don’t be obsessive about what they are doing.

3.     Allow free time.

It is okay to do stuff with your friends. They will understand, even if it’s not texting them during class. You will be so much happier when you see the text from him after some time away.

4.     Send each other cute texts once in a while.

Express your feelings. Even if you have to copy and paste a cute good morning/night text from the internet, tell them how you feel. Tell them that you thought about them or that you miss them. They will be glad to hear that you still think about them. 

5.     Be there for each other.

It is okay to cry. Let me repeat it. It is OKAY to cry. We understand that there can be rough days. Talk to your partner about it or listen if your partner needs it. This will bond you closer together. 

6.     Have a goal set. 

I’m not saying that you need to plan your future out but have a goal that you want to accomplish in the future. It can be the next time you see them. It can be getting a home. It can be just figuring out the next new restaurant you want to try. Have a goal that you can strive for.

Laura Minyon

Oklahoma '22

Laura Minyon is a junior at the University of Oklahoma and is majoring in Special Education (K-12) with a HQ of Elementary. Laura enjoys DIYs, movies, and hanging with friends when she isn’t writing! Lauras serves as one of the Campus Correspondents at OU!