I Watched the Nancy Drew Pilot: Here’s Why You Should Too

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Image via IMDB

As a kid, I loved to read. I was in the library almost every day to pick up something new, and my favorites were the Nancy Drew books. Nancy Drew was everything I wanted to be: assertive, inquisitive, and smart as a whip. She seemed to be good at everything. I enjoyed every twist and turn while trying to figure out the mystery along with Nancy. 

Quick sidenote: Did you know that the Nancy Drew books were written by multiple different people? The character was conceived by Edward Stratemeyer, and the authors all used the pen name Carolyn Keene. Multiple powerful women have cited her as an early influence, such as Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Oprah Winfrey, and Barbra Streisand. Basically, fans of Nancy Drew are in good company.

All things considered, I was super excited to learn about the Nancy Drew show on the CW. Nancy Drew is an incredibly important character to me, so a part of me was also nervous. (Riverdale, anyone?) The pilot episode aired on Wednesday, October 9th. (Just in time for Halloween!) 

Honestly, the pilot was so much that I had hoped for. Nancy is imperfect and complex. She has a desire for information and justice that is so evident. It was also perfectly spooky. While not exactly perfect, it promises to be entertaining. It definitely has a similar vibe to the first season of Riverdale with its supernatural overtones, overarching mystery, and romantic not-so-subplots. However, Nancy’s brashness is compelling in a way that will definitely bring me back for the next episode. 

Nancy Drew is independent and unquestioned. In the books, she is an undeniable icon of female empowerment. Reading the books, I felt like I could do anything. I have lots of hope for the future of this series.

Hailey Welch

Oklahoma '21

Hailey Welch is majoring in Chemical Biosciences with a final goal of studying the brain. While loving science, she also appreciates the need for creative development and self expression. Her hobbies include trying new foods, talking to her mom on the phone, looking at squirrel videos on Instagram, and getting distracted by HerCampus articles.
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!