I Hope This Isn’t Too Cheesy: A Definitive Ranking of Cheese Fries in Norman, OK

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Image via Builicious

Okay, listen. I love cheese fries. My bio on both twitter and insta is about them. They’re my fav food to get when I’m out at a bar with friends and I want to snack on something while we all chill. I’ve tried tooooooooonnnnnnsssss of cheese fries everywhere, but it’s safe to say the best I’ve had have been while I’m in college. Maybe that’s the good times I’ve had (with friends, not the cheese fries), or that they are truly THAT good. Therefore, I have made this ranking system so I can give you the best that Norman has to offer. We will go in descending order because that’s how these things usually work; SO let’s do this.

10. Chili’s

Don’t look at me like that. I know it’s a chain. I don’t care about your opinion. This is my article.

Many times these are actually kinda subpar. It really depends on the day and the Chili’s you go to. HOWEVER, they have the 2 for $20 deal, and these babies are on there. You can get these and two entrees (the cajun chicken pasta and the crispy chicken tenders) for $20. Who can pass up that deal????

Image via Chili’s

9. The Porch

Listen, I know they’re new. They’re still working out a few bugs. I get it. However, the pepper jack cheese fries were good, but not like Top 5 good. The fries themselves are beer-battered, and delicious. There just wasn’t enough cheese for my taste. Would there have been more pepper jack, I would’ve been in heaven, but I felt as if I was a lil cheated. BUT they can grow from this, and it may have just been the night I went. IDK. Still a great place though and that balcony is perfect for a chill night with friends.

8. Volare

Volare has this appetizer called “Crack Fries,” and I l o v e them. The only reason they are ranked 9 is because they need more parmesan in my humble opinion. These things are SMOTHERED in garlic, sprinkled with parm, and have some parsley on them as well. They are served in a snazzy basket with ketchup. I love garlic. I love these fries. Volare, if you are reading this, pls add more parm thx.

7. Seven47 (Sevens)

Oh Lord. These fries. They’re a lot like the Volare fries but with more parm and a different dipping sauce. These also have truffle oil drizzeled on there. These are beautys and I could live on these shoestring fry wonders. They are ranked 8 because they are not the traditional cheese fry, but they are incredibly delicious.

6. Saltgrass Steakhouse

I know, I know, another chain. But hear me out, these are great. They are home fries that come in a cast iron skillet with tons of cheese, tons of bacon, and a good amount of green onion. This one also comes with ranch. This chain is based out of Texas, so you know they aren’t going to cheat you on your cheesy goodness; because c’mon, everything is better in Texas (except the football).

Image via Saltgrass Steakhouse

5. Das Boot

These are not your normal cheese fries. The Jagar Fries come with roasted beef, gravy, and mounds of swiss cheese. These things are the most amazing twist on German food I’ve ever had. These are great when other sports bars are packed and you just wanna watch the Thunder game in peace with cheap beers.

4. O’Connell’s Irish Pub (O’Conn’s)

Ah, O’Conn’s. I love this place. It’s so great and has so many weekly events: $4 burger night on Wednesday followed by Karaoke Night, Trivia Night on Thursday, a 20% off student discount (with an ID) on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, and a killer St. Patty’s Day event. Not to mention, a phenomenal shot list. The only reason this is at No. 4 is because the cheese fries come out a lil bare on busy nights. Which I get. When you go during a non-hectic time, they rock socks. They are $9.25 and come with cheese, bacon, chives, and a side of ranch and sour cream. I will say they are on a smaller plate, but the taste usually makes up for that.

3. The Garage

Oh man. Those queso fries get me EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. You literally cannot ever go wrong with them especially with their pricepoint. They are THAT good, y’all. Bomb-ass queso too. They come piled high with rich and creamy queso, grilled jalapeno, bacon, tomatoes, and sour cream. These are for those who like a kick to their food, and for those who are daring enough to try.

Image via Yelp 

2. Outback Steakhouse

Shut up, I know it’s another chain. Every Outback I’ve been to has had killer cheese fries. Sometimes they have deals where you can get those AND a blooming onion. Where can you go wrong with that??? Answer: you can’t. These are always consistent, wonderful, and delicious. If you’re wanting an appetizer before your steak, these are the way to go. They’re great in both ranches too!

1. The Mont

These are the Holy Grail of cheese fries, my dudes. These babies are around $8.50 for a plate that is the size of my head and a half. It also comes with TWO large cups of ranch. Literally. What more could you want??? These fries are PILED with cheese, bacon, and chives. They are so good that I could live on them alone. Best had with water, soda, or the one and only Swirl. Do yourself a favor, and eat these at every meal.

Image via Yelp

There you have it. A definitive ranking of the best cheese fries in Norman, OK. I know this is def too cheesy, but oh well, you’ll thank me later. ;)

Laci Ralstin

Oklahoma '20

Laci is a senior at the University of Oklahoma pursuing a degree in Psychology on a Pre-Pharmacy track. When Laci isn't watching Sooner football, she is found eating only the best of loaded cheese fries. She also really enjoys trivia, sleeping, and her beloved cat, Hazel. You can find Laci either in a coffee shop or at a music festival.
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!