Career

10 Tips for Looking for that Post-Grad Job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Photo by rawpixel on Unsplash

I’m in the middle of my job search, which has been intimidating and at times, stressful. But I’ve learned to keep an open mind and take in all the advice that I can in this process. Below are some of the best tips I’ve learned to make that job search process even smoother.

1. Create a LinkedIn profile and update it frequently with any certifications, your resume, job experience, education experience, and all the skills you have. Don’t forget to put an appropriate headshot in the photo section.

2. Take advantage of your campus’s career services office! If your campus has an office devoted to helping students look for jobs, meet with one of the advisors and talk with them about different opportunities. Chances are, they might know about some opportunities you might not be aware of!

3. Create an online portfolio or blog that can display any and all of your work. Employers like to see writing samples if you’re pursuing a related job.

4. Send your resume as a PDF. It looks cleaner without any Word Formatting issues.

5. Dress professionally! You don’t need to have an expansive clothing selection for the first few career fairs or interviews, but make sure you have a few professional pieces.

6. If you have an in-person interview, make sure to bring copies of your resume and cover letter to the interview. While someone on your interviewing team might have seen your resume already, it looks good to be prepared.

7. Attend any on-campus Career Fairs that you can, even if it is just to network.

8. Send an email or thank you card immediately after your interview! Take the extra step and thank them for your time.

9. Edit your cover letters and tailor them to the job you’re applying for. Companies appreciate the extra step and you’re more likely to stand out as a candidate.

10. Stay organized with spreadsheets to keep your applications straight and organized.

Meagan Loyd is a senior at the University of Oklahoma studying Professional Writing at Gaylord College of Journalism. She loves Target, Starbucks, quarter-zip sweatshirts, Chicago Cubs Baseball, Sooner Football, and all of the books!
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!