Animal Crossing lead
Animal Crossing lead
Nintendo

You’re Still a Gamer Even if You Only Play the Sims

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Cozy games are a legit genre of games that have always been super popular. The Sims, Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing, and more have been major games selling more than the popular first-person shooters and MOBA games that are traditionally considered real videogames. Why is the level of difficulty what makes someone a member of a group or not? Video games are meant to be enjoyable not a chore. If I want to get pissed off and rage I’d open my news app, not turn on a virtual reality with colorful fictional characters and an entire lore.

Games with primarily female audiences are not considered real games because the gaming community is sexist.

There is just as much legitimacy in cozy games as any other genre of games. The truth behind why people who predominantly play games like this feel unqualified for the title of “gamer” or like they have any less reason to start streaming is rooted in misogyny. Have you ever played Runescape? It’s literally Stardew Valley but with worse graphics. The only difference between rpg games and games like Stardew or other resource management games is that the audience for those games have more men in them making them “legit” videogames. Games with primarily female audiences are not considered real games because the gaming community is sexist. That’s it. It should be no shocker that the videogame community has a deep misogynistic community (just watch what happens when anyone who’s not a man hops on the mic in any fps) but realizing this is what causes the imposter syndrome among non-male gamers is crucial. 

People don’t just watch cozy streamers because they’re cute girls, no matter how much Kyle insists so

How can you fight it? Easy. Just start believing that people who play cozy games are gamers. Call yourself a gamer. If you are asked to list your interests and what you like to do is play video games DO NOT omit that because you don’t feel qualified for that title. It’s video games for god’s sake it’s not that prestigious of a community to begin with. People don’t just watch cozy streamers because they’re cute girls, no matter how much Kyle insists so. People watch them because they’re good. And no that doesn’t mean they’re the most skilled gamers in the world, it means it’s enjoyable to watch. It’s comforting and entertaining, just like video games SHOULD BE. Please never feel inadequate because some dude with a narrow worldview and a light-up keyboard says something dumb. And if you ever need support, there are tons of cozy gamers in the discords of these streamers or other places that would love to talk to you and tell you you’re valid. Go join one and make some friends!

Former President of Her Campus at Oklahoma State University.  Laney is a senior Graphic Design major.  Laney is passionate about philanthropy, activism, education, and art.  When she isn't writing articles for Her Campus she is painting, playing video games, or volunteering.