Why #shirtlessshamers2016 Is The Best Hashtag of the Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Don’t you just hate when you’re scrolling through Twitter and see a tweet like this: 

From a guy who’s Twitter is filled with pictures like this: 

That’s why the hasthag #shirtlessshamers2016 was started. It’s creator, Lindsey, uses it to show the double standards and slut shaming tendencies of men on the internet. 

In an interview with Cosmopolitan, Lindsay said, “Most of the guys I feature on #shirtlessshamers2016 have a ‘likes’ list FULL of porn GIFs, so their issue doesn’t seem to be with women naked or half-naked, but women doing these things for themselves.”

Lindsey is also the creator of Cards Against Harrassment, a project started in 2014 to counteract street harrassment in Minneapolis. 

And this problem isn’t just with the everyday people you have the misfortune of following on Twitter. It affects celebrities, too.

Remember the uproar when Miley Cyrus was tastefull nude for her “Wrecking Ball” video?

The backlash was insane. People started calling her crazy and wanted her to “put more clothes on,” or “stop being a slut.” 

But when Nick Jonas posed like this: 

No one said he wasn’t dressed enough, or that his poses were innappropriate, or that he was setting a bad example. People actually loved it! 

That’s why, I’m a huge advocate for the #shirtlessshamers2016 hashtag and think you should be, too!

It’s wrong for people to try and regulate our bodies, and shame us for doing something that makes us feel good, or that we just want to do. 

The next time you run across a f*ckboi on Twitter or Instagram or Facebook that thinks it’s his place to tell other’s what they should or shouldn’t do with their bodies, take a few extra seconds to check for his ‘innappropriate’ or ‘degrading’ or ‘no-one-wants-to-see-that’ images and add them to the growing #shirtlessshamers2016 list of tweets. You know I’ll be putting a few up there soon. 

And check out the Master Collection of all of the #shirtlessshamers2016 posts. It’s horrifying, and hilarious. But mostly horrifying. 

Hannah Littlefield was Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Oklahoma State University for 2 semesters, and she had an amazing team backing her up. During her time as CC, she also wrote for CollegeFashionista and her personal style blog, fefifofhannah.com. She will always remember the wonderful and unique team members she had at HCOS, and will cherish every memory.