Vegetarian in the Midwest?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

As a newly transplanted Californian to Oklahoma State, one of the biggest culture shocks for me has been around food. I went from eating yummy meatless chili and quinoa for dinner to eating a just as yummy Texas Roadhouse rib-eye and at least 5 of those addictive pillows of awesome called “rolls.” I’ve enjoyed trying new BBQ or gas station fried chicken and other foods that obviously exist back home but just weren’t a big part of my everyday diet.

I was never a vegetarian or anything but my parents are very big on eating an organic, plant-based diet and I just got used to eating that way. Then, when I went away to school at UC Berkeley for a couple of years, eating a healthy, locally-grown, diverse and plant-“strong” diet was even easier. With a few late-night and not so late-night trips to In-N-Out Burgers thrown in!

But I’m not in California anymore; I’m in Stillwater, Oklahoma. And since I’ve decided to put roots down here for the next two years, I’ve set out to make it easier on myself to eat a plant-based diet in a part of the country where steak and potatoes seem to rule the land. (And I’m not complaining about the steak part because the Roadhouse and I had a very special connection!)

In answer to the title question, of course it’s possible! But that doesn’t mean it is always easy. For example, in my hometown of San Diego in southern California, there are 58 vegan, vegetarian, and “veg-friendly” restaurant and store options within a 15-mile radius of my zip code. In Stillwater, there are 4 and only one of them is a restaurant! But, since I’m not easily discouraged, I kept looking and here are some resources I’ve found (and personally have used most of) for anyone thinking of going the plant route or even just to reduce a little bit of their meat intake.

Websites:

Happy Cow (lets you search for veggie and vegan restaurants and stores based on location)

Compassionate Cook (has resources and podcasts about transitioning to vegetarianism)

OSU Vegetarian Club: Check them out on CampusLink

Stores:

Nature Supply on N. Perkins

Open Circle Health on N. Duck.

A Few of My On-Campus Favorites:

Johnny Rocket’s “Streamliner” burger

Service Station Gardenburger (both of these were really good! I think my favorite of the two is the Streamliner)

West Side Café’s (in HS West) Grilled Cheese and Fries

Adams Market’s Caesar Salad and Cheesy Bread

Happy Eating!

Diamond A

OK State

California girl transplanted in Oklahoma to finish my Dietetics undergraduate degree. I love football, food, and Jesus! In addition to being a college student, I am also the world's greatest chocolate chip cookie maker. It's in the flour and chilling time but that's all I can tell you :)