Valentine’s Day Parody

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Valentine’s Day is not only a day for the lovers, but a day of love and loving yourself! You don’t have to be in a relationship to partake in this day’s festivities and reap its benefits. Take time out to love yourself or gather a group of girlfriends for a day of pampering. Below are lists of ideas that are sure to make your Valentine’s Day a day that you’ll never forget.

·      Get a Mani and Pedi
If you’re in college like most of us are and on a budget, choose this day to splurge. Go to a salon near you and get the works. Sit back and enjoy those deep foot and hand massages. Or if you’re into the beauty on a budget, invite your friends over and polish each other’s fingers and toes. Who says we need to impress men anyway! Drake said it best in his hit record Oh you fancy huh? “You don’t do it for the man, men never notice. You just do it for yourself you’re the f*n coldest.”

·       Rent a movie while drinking wine
Are you into the fairytale endings? The Notebook. Why not rent a movie that gives us girls hope! You don’t have to worry about the “boy” complaining about how mushy it is, so enjoy it with your girls. Take this night a step further and turn it into a sleepover. Who said you’d get through all those movies in a few hours anyway!

·       Potluck!
While watching your favorite shows or listening to your favorite music, invite some friends over and enjoy switching dishes. If pot lucking isn’t your cup of tea, enjoy baking sweet deserts together and indulge in your favorite chocolate candies! It is Valentine’s Day.

·      Speed Dating
This could be the day that you meet your potential mate! Go all out and put on that outfit that makes you feel like the center of attention.Physical appearance and chemistry play important roles in the initial stages of dating. Even though we tend to ignore its importance for fear of sounding superficial, someone’s appearance does play an important role in the decision of wanting to spend time with them again.
Speed dating will give you the chance to meet numerous people from diverse backgrounds and you may eventually hit it off with someone that has similar interests as you. Be sure to remain honest and open.

·      Retail therapy
This is the perfect time to snag great deals! Most retailers will have specials going on. You may even run into your future Valentine here. Be sure not to over indulge in this activity, but spend an amount that you won’t miss. Shopping not only relieves stress, it brings pleasure to the individual and brings our minds focused on the present.

Becca is an Oklahoma State University fashion journalism student. After she graduates in December, she wants to work for British Vogue. She believes that although a $1,200 sundress looks fantastic on the runway, there are less expensive alternatives to looking fabulous. Knowing how to shop on a budget is a vital skill for every college woman. She has recently completed a life-changing study abroad experience in London and a visual merchandising internship at White House Black Market in Dallas. Becca wants to show the fashion world that you can look beautiful without breaking the bank.