Top 10 Gameday Traditions at OSU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Top 10 Game Day Traditions at OSU

Here are the top 10 favorite gameday traditions from your favorite Big 12 university:

1. The Pregame

The tailgating environment around campus hours before the game starts is part of what makes gamedays a Stillwater favorite. Thousands gather under tents to eat, drink and mingle before making their way into Boone Pickens Stadium for the big event.

2. Spirit Walk

Fans line Hester St. to cheer on the players, coaches, spirit squad, OSU marching band and Pistol Pete as they all make their famous walk from the Atherton Hotel to Boone Pickens Stadium.

3. Paddle People

These dedicated fans campout before games to get front row seats and make some noise during the games. These spirited folks are the reason for the Big 12 ruling that prohibits artificial noise-makers at football games while the ball is in play or the offense is at the line of scrimmage.

4. “HERE COMES BULLET!”

After each touchdown you can feel the anticipation and excitement in the stadium air as the announcer booms these famous words, “Here comes Bullet!” The crowd always goes wild as Bullet darts onto the field with the OSU flag waving.

5. Kickoff is Key

Before every kickoff, fans reach in their pockets or purses to get their keys so they can join in jingling.

6. Halftime Happenings

From our stellar marching band and color guard marching in carefully choreographed patterns to create different formations, to the always fabulous performances done by the spirit squad, to the classic Kiss Cam and photoshopping of OSU t-shirts onto our opponent’s fans, our halftime is always a good time.

7. Pistol Pete

Because it’s just not an OSU game day celebration without the best mascot in the nation, Pistol Pete.

8. Waving the Wheat

After a Cowboy touchdown, the crowd always “waves the wheat” by moving their arms back and forth together. This simple tradition is always a crowd pleaser.

9. Catchy Chants

It just takes a single person to yell “OHHHHH”, before the whole crowd joins in with “SSSSSSS UUUUUUU COWBOYS!”—arm motions included, obviously. Some of the other crowd favorites include the OSU remix of DJ Khaled’s “All I Do is Win”, chanting “USO, USO!” when the flags appear backwards as they are ran across the field (yes, this is a real thing), and of course, the one that everybody knows and loves so much where we promise to “beat the hell outta you!”

10. Alma Mater Matters

When the band begins playing our Alma Mater song, everybody immediately knows what to do. Whether you’ve known your neighbor for your entire life or for the past two minutes, your arms link and you begin swaying back and forth in unison. The whole crowd always comes together, no matter if it was a win or loss—and that’s why you’ll always find us loyal and true to our alma mater, OSU.

This article was written by Sarah Eddings, a freshman chapter contributor at Oklahoma State.