Think Before you Ink

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

When you are interviewing for a job, you want to dress up, be professional, and embody the part.

So, when you have visible tattoos what does that mean for the fate of your interview? Tattoos used to be seen as a sign of rebellion and violence. They have never been deemed professional. Now it is becoming much more common for people to have tattoos among teens and young adults. But, the question remains are tattoos still taboo in the workplace?

I have never heard of a company or business that has admitted to refusing a job offer to someone, simply because of tattoos. However, a professional appearance is an important part of many jobs. If you have visible tattoos, then you need to be prepared for some judgment casted your way during an interview. After all, they do have to protect the reputation of their business. If your tattoos are offensive or risqué though, then that is a different story. These types of tattoos will most certainly hinder you from getting certain jobs.

If you are considering getting a tattoo, I encourage you to think about several things before you cough up the big bucks and make your final decision.

First, consider the profession you want to go into. Teacher? Lawyer? Doctor? Construction? Chef? I know it may seem silly, but certain career paths are pickier about body art than others.

Second, you should be 100 percent confident in the tattoo you want to get before you do. Is it sentimental or just a picture of your favorite cartoon character? This says a lot about your personality and judgment to future employers.

Thirdly, if at all possible, try to get the tattoo in a discreet place. Rather than on your wrist where it can easily be seen when wearing short sleeves in warm weather. Instead, get it on your foot or maybe your hip, somewhere where it isn’t super obvious.

And the last word of advice I can leave you with is please spell check before getting a wordy tattoo. Remember, this is permanent and it will be with you for the rest of your life. 

I am a sophomore multimedia journalism major at Oklahoma State. Originally from Fort Worth, Tx. I am a member of Kappa Alpha Theta. I love photography and anything vintage!
I am a senior at Oklahoma State University. My major is Multimedia Journalism with a minor in leadership. I aspire to be a news anchor or work for a fashion magazine, I am honestly open to any kind of journalism though. I am the Her Campus correspondent for OSU. I interned for News on 6 in Tulsa, Okla this summer and I loved every second of it. Basically, I am just a fun-loving girl who loves her friends and family. The only expectations I have for the future is to be happy.